Male or Female.

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I bought this betta as a female from petland around thanksgiving time. I never really paid too close of attention or even thought about the fact that it could be a male.

Well after seeing some of the HMPKs I am starting to think my she is really a he.....

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLobWYyPUPc&feature=youtu.be

Please disregaurd the dirty tank, its tank cleaning day. :;swls

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That's a tough one. I think that's a nice HMPK female. I could be wrong but by the size and shape of the fish/fins she looks like a girl. A very nice one too! Anybody else have thoughts on gender?

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you see those ventrals? LOL

I think you've got a young male. It took a while for my 1st PK mature enough to be able to decide that she really was a *he*. Once he reached full size (which wasn't very big. 2 inches maybe lol), then his ventrals started growing out.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Hummm so I have one vote female and one vote male :p

If it is a boy, what a poor guy having to come out pink :p

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I can also see the "beard" poking out when the gills pump.

6. SarahFish Member Member

Females have a white spot by their anal fin called an ovipositer. If that isn't there, then you have a male. My betta was sold to me as a female, and after looking around and research, with no white spot, I had a male.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

2 of my 4 male PKs and one of my male veils have had Ovipositors. These days, they mean nothing.

;)

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I guess we'll all know when it gets a little bigger... :D

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Or if we could get a flare ;)

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I thought females flared too?

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

They do. Its the amount of beard they show that really helps determine the sex of short finned bettas :)

12. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

It almost never flares up anymore. I can't even remember when the last time it did and it can see its reflection in the glass so I doubt a mirror will help.

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

LOL Don't you hate that? Get a betta to see those pretty fins, and then they don't ever display them? :p

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I must have gotten lucky with Odin. He shows off for me everyday!

15. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Mine just does the thing in the video all the time for me. S/he does this excited dance whenever I walk near the tank.

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Mine is always acting big and tough, I thought he was going to bite me yesterday when I was cleaning his tank. <3

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

''Foodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfood!"

18. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

With the size of the ventrals, and the pointy anal fin, I say male.

19. Chard56 Member Member

I vote male as well. A scrawny looking male. He needs to be fattened up some and he's not pink, just say he's Salamander colored. That way it won't hurt his feelings. LOL!

20. SarahFish Member Member

I put a mirror up to mine and he hid under a leaf hahahahahaha