Male or female zebra danio?

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by Borngemini, Dec 29, 2012.

1. B

Borngemini Valued Member Member

Hello first off I'm new so thought I'd just say hi
    Second,
    I am trying to breed two Zebra danios one I know is female as she is huge! I've waited for the correct breeding conditions put them both in a different tank but since then the one I thought was a male has all of a sudden got a little cubby? The female is laying in the plants while the other one is swiping it's tail across her rapidly please tell me what you think or at least the behaviour is normal.. I've always grew up with guppies mollies and neon tetras but this is the first I've had zebras and love them as a fish
    Thankyou

[​IMG]

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

When I've had them breed the female would approach the substrate, normally with the male(s) in hot pursuit rubbing their bodies against her. Once she reaches the substrate she will do a shimmy against it, kind of like she's trying to rub something off of her, scattering the eggs. Almost at the same time the male does the same thing, fertilizing them.

These are just my observations as I've never intentionally bred them, it just happened. Fyi, temp was 76 F ph about 7.4 and pretty soft water, kh=15-20ppm gh=<50ppm

3. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Valued Member Member

Hi Borngemini, welcome to the forum!

If your danios are in good shape they will most likely be spawning on a regular basis. They generally spawn around first light in the mornings by racing all around the tank scattering eggs along the way. I've never tried to spawn just 2 fish. They do much better in groups with more males than females.

Good luck with your breeding project!

Dennis

4. OP
    OP
    B

Thankyou both
    They seem to be happy no eggs though, for some reason I think there both female as the photo shows that one I thought was a male but looks chubby what are your thoughts on the behaviour and gender on the photo?
    Thanks

5. OP
    OP
    B

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The one in the first pic is female, as are the 2 in the last pic.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Thankyou !!
    That would be the reason
    How embarrassing pmsl !!
    Would the behaviour she is doing to the other female bullying.
    Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice