Male Or Female Yellow Lab For My Tank? Question

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by ikolbyi, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ikolbyi

ikolbyiValued MemberMember

My current tank (55 gallon fresh water planted tank, 5 years old)
    Fish stocking levels: (14 months in this configuration)
    (4) Assassin snails (I have an infestation of small pond snails)
    (1) Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis)
    (1) Emperor/Flash Pleco (Panaqolus albivermis, L-204)
    (1) Bulldog/Rubbernose Plecostomus (Chaetostoma formosae, L187b)
    (7) Columbian Blue/Red Fin Tetra (Hyphessobrycon columbianus)
    (7) Black-Spotted Filament Barb (Puntius filamentosus)
    (3) African Cichlids [Labidochromis chisumulae (female)/Melanochromis auratus(male)/Nimbochromis venustus (female)]
    (3) Rainbow Panda Garra (Garra flavatra)
    (4) YoYo /Pakistani/Lohachata Loach (Botia lohachata)
    (3) Dwarf Petricola Catfish (Synodontis lucipinnis)

As the Barbs die off due to age, I am replacing them with the Columbian Tetra's. The goal is to have the Tetra count up to 11 and 0 Barbs.

Behavior: Tank is peaceful.
    The largest fish in the tank is the Female Giraffe Cliched, every fish in the tank leaves her alone and she leaves every fish alone as if this fish is invisible in the tank. The Male Golden Mbuna is completely black except for belly and is the most aggressive fish in the tank. He occasionally chases the Barbs, especially when they enter his "home" or spawning area he created in the sand in the back of the tank behind driftwood. Dug deep in the sub-strait.

Since I have 1 male who 'flexes his muscle' every now and then only against the Barbs, I would like to buy a yellow Lab: do I purchase a female or male for this tank?

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

With that odd mixture of fish you'd probably be better off getting a female of a similar size to the rest of the larger fish. Your tank sounds pretty overstocked as it is tho.

3. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

With regard to overstocking, correct, which is why I am reducing the stocking levels (over time from 14 (7 Tetras, 7 very large barbs) to 11 Tetras. The Tetra's are 1/3 smaller than Barbs, the male barbs in my tank are 6-inches, way too big. The females are 4-inches. Ironic that the male Cichlid only attacks the male barbs every now and then.

4. Momgoose56

Do you have a picture?? I love the way the filament barb's look esp when there's a school of them!

5. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

6. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

7. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

The barbs are beautiful (and colorful) fish and very hyper (active), but the males are too large for my tank. The females are clearly 1/3 in size smaller. I never expected the males to get as large as they did. I have 4 male and 3 female barbs - as they die off in time they will make the necessary room in the tank resolving any stocking issues. This tank has been like this for a year so water parameters are fine... Fluval 406 canister filter and I clean the canister filter once a month.

8. Momgoose56

Definately overstocked but awesome fish! I can't fault you for overstocking, I have 20 + mbuna, haps and peacocks, a dozen rainbowfish, a common pleco and a huge Syndontis Decorus catfish in my 125 gallon tank, plus a few cichlid fry so I'm way overstocked too-it does cut down on aggression among the Cichlids though!
    20190720_112056.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019