Male or female sunset dwarf Gourami?

1. w

wvictor New Member Member

Is he/she a male or a female? I think he is a male....just want to be sure as I am planning on ordering the opposite sex online. Are they better off in pairs or solo without a potential mate? Does it matter which type of female dwarf Gourami I get?

http://imgur.com/a/chB2N/all

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Whatever it is, its female. BUT do NOT KEEP DWARF GOURAMI TOGETHER. They will tear each other to shreds. Males will bully females.

On a side note, ive never seen a Female Dwarf like that. Looks more like a female Honey. I would hold off buying anything until we get a positive ID. You dont wanna get this wrong.

3. d

davebowden Valued Member Member

Hi,
    not to sure what kind of gourami it is, but i'm sure its female.

4. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Looks like a female honey, female honeys will get along fine but males might fight if there's not enough room. A single gourami by itself will be fine too, they are great tankmates for other peaceful community fish because of their peaceful nature. :)

5. OP
    OP
    w

wvictor New Member Member

The LFS has it labeled as a "Sunset Dwarf Gourami", and they said it was a male. How do I tell if it is a he/she and how positive that it is a female? If it is a female, should I buy a male dwarf gourami? He/She is currently in a 20g with some glass catfish and gupplies.

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Again
    The dorsal fin is the only way to truley tell. That looks like a female honey. You dont need to buy anything else to go with her. I wouldn't risk it. Just let her be.

7. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

The dorsal fins are more pointier in males and they'll usually have some red on the fins, the females are slightly rounder than the males. Sometimes stores don't label their fish correctly but that is definitely a honey, the dwarves are bigger and more aggressive so they might not be the best tankmates for these little fish.