Male Or Female Scarlet Badis

  • Thread starter

11emilyscott

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hello I have a new pair of scarlet basis in a five gallon. I thought that I bought had a male and a female. But now I am questioning if the lighter color one is a male or a female. They seem to get along and I haven't noticed any aggression, maybe a little territoriality though.
What do you guys think? Male or female for the lighter colored one of the pair?

Thanks!
 

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe the lighter in color is female. Females do exhibit the red stripes on their side still, but they are much lighter. What do you plan on feeding your dario darios if they have fry? I find that micro worms take very well to them.
 
  • Thread starter

11emilyscott

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
1
DutchAquarium said:
I believe the lighter in color is female. Females do exhibit the red stripes on their side still, but they are much lighter. What do you plan on feeding your dario darios if they have fry? I find that micro worms take very well to them.
Good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the info! I'm inexperienced with scarlet basis and am struggling getting my adults to eat as it is at the moment.
My local fish store neglected to let me know that they prefer live food. (shame on them!) They also told me three scarlet basis (regardless of gender) would be good for a five gallon. So I'm trying to figure out genders before I have to possibly re-home or take a couple back to the store
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you able to get live california black worms or daphina for the adults? These are very good conditioning foods.
 
  • Thread starter

11emilyscott

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
1
DutchAquarium said:
Are you able to get live california black worms or daphina for the adults? These are very good conditioning foods.
Should be able to yes. Thanks. Have you had any luck with frozen food? I was thinking brine shrimp... I've read blood worms can be bad for them.
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't like brine shrimp for my freshwater species because their are studies showing the ill effects of it. Especially for fish fry, too much brine shrimp can cause swim bladder issues. While i haven't seen anything about adult fish, one can only guess. I don't know how frozen food would work because if feed mostly all live, but try daphina.
 
  • Thread starter

11emilyscott

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
1
DutchAquarium said:
I don't like brine shrimp for my freshwater species because their are studies showing the ill effects of it. Especially for fish fry, too much brine shrimp can cause swim bladder issues. While i haven't seen anything about adult fish, one can only guess. I don't know how frozen food would work because if feed mostly all live, but try daphina.
Okay I'll try daphnia for sure. So if we decided that the lighter colored scarlet badis is a female, do you think I could end up keeping both my males that I have at the moment in my five gallon? Or is two males and one female pushing it?
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if this would work or not since i've always done a 1:2 in my aquariums for darios, but i'm assuming your going to want to get rid of the 2nd male.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom