Male Or Female Scarlet Badis Question

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by 11emilyscott, Apr 18, 2018.

1. 11emilyscottNew MemberMember

Hello I have a new pair of scarlet basis in a five gallon. I thought that I bought had a male and a female. But now I am questioning if the lighter color one is a male or a female. They seem to get along and I haven't noticed any aggression, maybe a little territoriality though.
    What do you guys think? Male or female for the lighter colored one of the pair?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I believe the lighter in color is female. Females do exhibit the red stripes on their side still, but they are much lighter. What do you plan on feeding your dario darios if they have fry? I find that micro worms take very well to them.

3. OP
    OP

11emilyscottNew MemberMember

Good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the info! I'm inexperienced with scarlet basis and am struggling getting my adults to eat as it is at the moment.
    My local fish store neglected to let me know that they prefer live food. (shame on them!) They also told me three scarlet basis (regardless of gender) would be good for a five gallon. So I'm trying to figure out genders before I have to possibly re-home or take a couple back to the store :(

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Are you able to get live california black worms or daphina for the adults? These are very good conditioning foods.

5. OP
    OP

Should be able to yes. Thanks. Have you had any luck with frozen food? I was thinking brine shrimp... I've read blood worms can be bad for them.

6. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I don't like brine shrimp for my freshwater species because their are studies showing the ill effects of it. Especially for fish fry, too much brine shrimp can cause swim bladder issues. While i haven't seen anything about adult fish, one can only guess. I don't know how frozen food would work because if feed mostly all live, but try daphina.

7. OP
    OP

Okay I'll try daphnia for sure. So if we decided that the lighter colored scarlet badis is a female, do you think I could end up keeping both my males that I have at the moment in my five gallon? Or is two males and one female pushing it?

8. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I don't know if this would work or not since i've always done a 1:2 in my aquariums for darios, but i'm assuming your going to want to get rid of the 2nd male.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice