Male or Female Rosy Barbs? which is which?

• Thread starter mxs14
  • Start date

mxs14

I recently bought 2 Rosy Barbs (pretty sure these are Rosy Barbs, correct me if I'm wrong)

I was wondering what gender each one is, I researched and found out that the more red-orange brighter colored one with black tipped fins are males and the paler lemon-green duller colored ones are females with no or little black lines on the fins.

Mine is kinda... mixed
One is red-orange WITHOUT any black tipped fins and the other one is half lemon-green WITH black lines on the fins and is slightly bigger . So yeah... anyone can tell me? They have been fighting or breeding, idk cuz sometimes they seem to be aggressive to each other.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Welcome to Fishlore!

They should also be in a larger group. They may be aggressive to each other because they are stressed. If you add more, I would think the aggression would disappear. What size is the tank and what's your current stocking? I'd add another 4-6 if you have room.

mxs14

I'm a 15 year old with a strict dad, so I only have a small about 10 gallon tank (I think). Also another turtle tank that now contains 2 chichilds (Female Electric Yellow and an Albino) (they're still small)

I love fish, and I was too forceful with myself so first I bought:
2 Male Dwarf Gouramis
1 Common Pleco (really small one) (If it grows huge, I'll put it in the pond downstairs cuz I'm in an apartment and they have a pond with Koi, etc)

As I didn't do research, I didn't know that the Gouramis would fight each other, and one is smaller so he gets bullied by the other.

After I did research I found out, even though I know they should be in a 20 gallon tank, I just bought another Male Dwarf GouramI to spread the aggression a bit so that the small one will not get bullied too much as the other 2 are both pretty much the same strength. I also bought the 2 Rosy Barbs. So now the stockings are:

3 Male Dwarf Gouramis
1 Common Pleco
2 Rosy Barbs

Hang on Filter
Lights
Fake plants
Gravel
Decorations
Stones
(I live in Malaysia so I don't think I'll need a heater)

After that I researched about Rosy Barbs and found out they are schooling fish and best in groups of 5 at least, well I didn't think that .-. so yea... I made mistakes.

I feel bad for myself that I bought fish that needs a 20 gallon tank, but luckily they seem to be eating well. If they grow to big I'll put them downstairs with some KoI if the guards allow.

Pic:

mxs14

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
mxs14 said:
Then y they don't fight each other in the pet store .-.? and thx xD
They aren't in the pet store long enough to start establishing territories. They're stressed from the move to the store. No problem!

mxs14

Anders247 said:
They aren't in the pet store long enough to start establishing territories. They're stressed from the move to the store. No problem!
O ok, good to know xD, also are my Rosy Barbs kinda wierd? The male doesn't hve a black tipped fin and da female has

Sent from my SM-G530H using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Idk, I haven't kept them though I know, given the size they get, they are most definitely not suitable for a 10g.

cosybarb

mxs14 said:
O ok, good to know xD, also are my Rosy Barbs kinda wierd? The male doesn't hve a black tipped fin and da female has

Sent from my SM-G530H using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
The male will have black tipped fins and the females do? What shade of a 'rosy' are they?

hampalong

Well Known
Top one is probably male, bottom probably female. There are man-made varieties of Rosy Barb so the markings are not always 'normal'. Easiest way to sex them is females are fatter.

As others have said, they need to be rehomed into a bigger tank with a group of their own species. And the Gouramies will fight, and the plec should be moved as soon as possible before it becomes stunted...

mxs14

1 dwarf gouramI have been moved to another tank and I bought the pleco algae wafers n it seems to be doing well in a 10 gallon at 2 inches. at emergency cases if the pleco gets huge, there is a koI pond which ill move it too.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
mxs14 said:
1 dwarf gouramI have been moved to another tank and I bought the pleco algae wafers n it seems to be doing well in a 10 gallon at 2 inches. at emergency cases if the pleco gets huge, there is a koI pond which ill move it too.
It's not an "if", it's a when the pleco gets huge. Move him or he'll become stunted.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
It's not an emergency situation when the pleco gets huge, it should be an expected situation. I'd rehome it now.

Top Bottom