Male or Female Molly? Help

Discussion in 'Sexing Livebearers' started by CanadianMolly, Apr 1, 2010.

1. CanadianMolly

CanadianMollyNew MemberMember

Can anyone tell me if this is a male or female. Sometimes it looks like a male and other times a female. It's very big and looks pregnant, so I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Hummm I'm leaning towards a pregnant male..... It looks like a male but I'm not positive.

3. OP
    OP
    CanadianMolly

CanadianMollyNew MemberMember

Thanks

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

haha sorry idk I'm kind of going back and forth now. Does it ever have the rounded fin like a female? If so I'm guessing the fin just is weak or something and when she moves it drags along behind her making her look like a male?

5. kloseo

kloseoWell Known MemberMember

its a male the bottom stick looking structure is called a gonopodium and is found only on the males, you can use this structure to id sex on mollies and platies

6. ayelie

ayelieWell Known MemberMember

I think male too. Could you get a better pic of the under side of him/her?

7. *Hannah*

*Hannah*Valued MemberMember

It look like she/he is swimming?!? When my female swims her analfin goes up a little, and makes her kinda look like a male. By the looks of it the bottom of the analfin is white and top transparent. If I am right then it probably is a female.

8. dlewin

dlewinValued MemberMember

looks like a male balloon molly to me

heres a picture of my male molly
    139.jpg

9. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Pregnant male.... i dont thinks thats possible

Chris

10. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Look like a male though to me too

Chris

11. fishyfishyfishy13

fishyfishyfishy13Well Known MemberMember

I wanna say its a male too its just that it has that square shape that a pregnant fish has when shes a week or two away from birth. On the other hand it looks like it has the gonopodium but it might just be the picture, it looks like it has a blur there where the fin would be on a female so if you could post a better pic we could tell for sure

12. izzyfishfarmer

izzyfishfarmerWell Known MemberMember

Thats a male dalmatian balloon molly its definitely not pregnant

13. bass master

bass masterWell Known MemberMember

definitely a balloon molly, although Im leaning towards female. A gonopodium usually lays much more flush to the body, to me the little white structure just looks like the thicker bottom rays of a typical female analfin. A better picture could help us, if the analfin looks just like a typical triangular fin, its a female. If the analfin looks like an elongated narrow tube with little to no webbing, it is a male.