Male or Female Molly? Help

Discussion in 'Sexing Livebearers' started by CanadianMolly, Apr 1, 2010.

1. C

CanadianMolly New Member Member

Can anyone tell me if this is a male or female. Sometimes it looks like a male and other times a female. It's very big and looks pregnant, so I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Hummm I'm leaning towards a pregnant male..... It looks like a male but I'm not positive.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CanadianMolly New Member Member

Thanks

4. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

haha sorry idk I'm kind of going back and forth now. Does it ever have the rounded fin like a female? If so I'm guessing the fin just is weak or something and when she moves it drags along behind her making her look like a male?

5. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

its a male the bottom stick looking structure is called a gonopodium and is found only on the males, you can use this structure to id sex on mollies and platies

6. ayelie

ayelie Well Known Member Member

I think male too. Could you get a better pic of the under side of him/her?

7. *Hannah*

*Hannah* Valued Member Member

It look like she/he is swimming?!? When my female swims her anal fin goes up a little, and makes her kinda look like a male. By the looks of it the bottom of the anal fin is white and top transparent. If I am right then it probably is a female.

8. dlewin

dlewin Valued Member Member

looks like a male balloon molly to me

heres a picture of my male molly
    139.jpg

9. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Pregnant male.... i dont thinks thats possible

Chris

10. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Look like a male though to me too

Chris

11. fishyfishyfishy13

fishyfishyfishy13 Well Known Member Member

I wanna say its a male too its just that it has that square shape that a pregnant fish has when shes a week or two away from birth. On the other hand it looks like it has the gonopodium but it might just be the picture, it looks like it has a blur there where the fin would be on a female so if you could post a better pic we could tell for sure

12. izzyfishfarmer

izzyfishfarmer Well Known Member Member

Thats a male dalmatian balloon molly its definitely not pregnant

13. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

definitely a balloon molly, although Im leaning towards female. A gonopodium usually lays much more flush to the body, to me the little white structure just looks like the thicker bottom rays of a typical female anal fin. A better picture could help us, if the anal fin looks just like a typical triangular fin, its a female. If the anal fin looks like an elongated narrow tube with little to no webbing, it is a male.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice