Male Or Female Molly

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not convinced. A female would have a rounded analfin. If it’s a small fish it could be a developing male.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do you have more photos? maybe a close up? i think it might be a male actually

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not convinced. A female would have a rounded analfin. If it’s a small fish it could be a developing male.
The trained eye spots the very straight edge and point forming on the analfin .
My guess also is it will form a gonopodium and you will have a male .
Most who breed livebearers have seen juvis change sex [ later bloomers so to speak , but they can completely change also] as late as 1 year and actually prefer to use the males that are not runts or alphas but more a slow and steadily developing fish ..I have been told repeatedly when asking that the slow grower is the one to use breeding ?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The super fast growth of alphas[ size , not color morph] is often caused by higher metabolism and accompanied with shorter life spans ?
For my part breeding swordtails the alphas are always the meanest fish to all others in the tank, but swords can be a lot tougher and bigger then many really think to begin with IMO ?
You saw the same as me looking at photo I think ?

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw a body, tail, dorsal and anal that look more male than female, which all fit with a late developer, presumably a ‘hidden’ male until now or very recently.

I’m not sure I follow your explanation. But I get that the best breeders would be the biggest females (more fry) and that the biggest male isn’t the ‘best’, just the biggest...

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with those who think it's a male looking at the analfin. A clear female has got a round edged analfin. This seems to head to pointy already.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess it depends on the quality or attribute you want to carry in your fish .
A good clean , proper sized fish seems a must to those who put effort into it ,but longevity also would be desirable also ? My main goal in my rams along with appearance is to try to make rams that live longer for people . I would like to think I have shortened no fishes natural life by picking a trait that just looked good . Although manipulating appearance is a huge part of making desirable fish to people .
I trust my sources as most have unlike me worked in the fish industry or professionally breed fish and continue still today with a passion often lost for profit . I am lucky to have travelled the 'forum world' for more then a couple years and have through time and experience come to know certain people I know are incredibly knowledgeable about fish ..
I’m not sure I follow your explanation. But I get that the best breeders would be the biggest females (more fry) and that the biggest male isn’t the ‘best’, just the biggest...
Maybe Stan @emeraldking can explain or refute my info ..He is definitely one of my trusted sources !

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does growing a fish quickly even shorten its lifespan?

(I’m not arguing, just wanting to understand. )

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, every individual male and female has got its own growth speed. Of course, there's an average speed. But circumstances do differ in every tank.
Fast and to their potential growing males will become alpha males in general. Males which develop the masculine characteristics very fast will remain small. Happens when there's a lack of potential males in the group, or if the tank is overcrowded or when the water temperature is way too high. A male which will grow up in an average pace will become a betta male or even an alpha male when there's no other alpha male around. They can stay the same size but some will become larger. Late males will mostly grow up in an average pace. But it will take longer before the male characteristics will be shown.
The first males mentioned will have a shorter lifespan in general. Their metabolism had to work that hard to let them grow up that fast.
I do prefer to use males which have grown up in an average speed. In general, they're much stronger.
To answer "Does growing a fish quickly even shorten its lifespan?".... if it's way faster than the regular pace then "Yes"...
A good friend of mine who's providing a number of wholesalers in our country and some across the border, does grow his fish very fast to ensure sufficient stock. They look very good after they've been boosted in a short time to adults, but yes... their lifespan is shorter than those which grew up in a normal pace. But personally, I don't prefer to speed up their growth...

Kathryn Caicedo

Reaction score
do you have more photos? maybe a close up? i think it might be a male actually
I don't have the best photos, but here are a couple more, this fish is speedy. I am hoping for a male, because we don't have the room to grow anymore fish, if she were to have fry. We have only three fish, a fancy guppy, creamsicle molly (male) and this one whom we thought was a male at the beginning. If she's a female, we were going to add a plant to help fry hide when she has them, and if any survive and thrive, give them away. I hoping for a male, though.
molly 5.jpg

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom