Male or female mollies???

1. llgarfield90 Initiate Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I recently got a black Molly and a white lyre tail Molly. I adore them! The only two fish that don't swim away and hide when I walk up to the tank! I've stared, googled, and guessed infinitely on this matter. I am almost 100% positive that the white Molly is a female, and black Molly looks male maybe, But, when they're still, and when they are swimming, the anal fin is confusing! When they are swimming it looks thinner. I put a bunch of pics for different views. Please help! I'm hoping for the possibility of Dalmatian Molly fry, fingers crossed!!

2. sunshine2012 Member Member

Looks like to me the white is female and black one is a male.

3. Nympxzie Member Member

I second that! White is a girl, black is a boy. You can tell by the shape of their anal fin. The male will have a pointy fin while the female has a fan shaped anal fin.

4. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I thought i had 2 females and 1 male but her fin was clamped. So i have 3 females :)

1 gave birth the day i put them in The tank and since The other 2 are still pregnant id assume the one with clamped fins was the momma. But your black does look like male. white is definitely female.

If they are fanned they are female, pointed like a stick they are male.

5. llgarfield90 Initiate Member

Thanks guys maybe they will make me some babies !!!!

6. Nympxzie Member Member

Be careful what you wish for! ;)

7. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Yea i wouldnt recommend it unless you have the space for them as adults. They have huge bioloads even the babies are poop machines.

8. llgarfield90 Initiate Member

Oh I am ready for them, already have platy and tetra fry, just have to have some Molly to be fulfilled, they are my favorite

9. Vichu Member Member

Both of them looks like a female to me,I have male black molly so I know how it'll look like . Your black molly anal fin is not pointy either dorsal fin is not to the shape!