Male or Female Harlequins

Discussion in 'Harlequin Rasbora' started by Wintersprite, Jul 16, 2015.

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hello all,

As of right now I have four harlequins and was wondering if anyone could tell me what sex they are. I have tried to figure out how to tell the differences between the two, but I am having a hard time figuring it out. Here is a picture of each of my four harlequins.

Attached Files:

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Just from the photos, looks like one male and three girls to me, the male being the third picture down. Of course that's assuming the lighting is the same on all the photos...

3. OP
    OP
    W

I was guessing that I might have 3 females and 1 male, but my guess was that the male was the second picture down. I guess i was partially right in my guess lol. How do you actually tell them apart? I was just looking at the black triangle.

The lighting is probably a little different. It was a challenge to try and get a picture of each one in the same light. The second and fourth picture the lighting is probably a little different since I took those when they were swimming closer to the top of the tank. So in those two pictures I think the light might be reflecting off them a little more.

4. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I have heard of 2 methods. One is the triangle part, also called a pork chop by some lol. If its real rounded then its a female, if its straighter, its a male. The other way is the coloring on the tail. If its orange, its male, if its red its female

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

^ exactly. The fish in the third picture is more colorful than the other three, and his "pork chop" is a different shape.

6. OP
    OP
    W

ok cool thank you guys for the information. I will have to try and take a closer look at them to see if i can see the differences. It has been hard to try and get a picture of them in the same type of lighting. I have tried and failed on many occasions now lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice