Male or Female Guppy?

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I always thought this was without a doubt a male due the brightly colored tail. But it's getting extremely large in the belly and I'm wondering if it's possibly a female. Do females ever have brightly colored tails such as this? Sorry I couldn't get better pics, but the little sucker just would not stay still long enough for me to focus on it and snap the pic.

clear.gif

clear.gif

Attachments

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is for sure a female. If you look at the fin below the belly you can see that males keep theirs down and it looks like 2 fins instead of one. Yours only has one. also behind the belly there is a gravid spot. The gravid spot is babies. Guppies are livebearers.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
definitly looks pregnant to me... :

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I have another female guppy who looks to be preggers as well... but that one I always knew was a female... she has just a plain gray tail. I always thought female guppies just had plain non-colored tails. Thanks again guys.

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
My female guppies are just as pretty as my males or prettier. The colors on mine range from bright yellow to red to blue. The males just have larger tails. You just have to keep an eye out for the pretty females. They can be hard to find.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i thought the same as you that girls were all grey in colour and very dull. only when i got some girls did i realise they come as many pretty colour varients as the boys, just the boys have longer flowing tails. good luck with all the fry you have coming your way! the only sure way of sexing a guppy is the analfin/gonopodium and teh gravis spot as already said! not by the colouring.
tan

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yep, definitely a female.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She's quite the beautiful female guppy. i wonder how the female fry that she has will look?

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
She had around 15 or 20 babies... so far not one of them has died. The biggest one is around 1/2 inch, so it's still too early to tell what they will look like. I will definitely post a few pics when they get big enough to show their colors...

Oh.. and she's pregnant again too.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, she's a livebearer so she'll be giving you fry for quite a while.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
She's quite the beautiful female guppy.  i wonder how the female fry that she has will look?
i have a female identical to this one.....i'm curious to know too!! especially as i dont know who the father is!! tan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom