Male or Female Guppy?

Guppytails

Hey everyone,

Just got a quick question. I'm separating the males and females into their own tanks. Usually its really easy to tell male from female because of the gonopodium or triangular fin/gravid spot.

This one doesn't have a gravid spot but the fin looks like a mix between the females triangular fin and a gonopodium so I'm not 100%.

What do you guys think?

Guppytails said:
Hey everyone,

Just got a quick question. I'm separating the males and females into their own tanks. Usually its really easy to tell male from female because of the gonopodium or triangular fin/gravid spot.

This one doesn't have a gravid spot but the fin looks like a mix between the females triangular fin and a gonopodium so I'm not 100%.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sorry about the pictures but it's difficult to get clear ones while its darting around.
Managed to get a clear picture

kallililly1973

Looks female to me.

coralbandit

Going to be a male IMO.

Sprinkle

Guppytails said:
Managed to get a clear picture
Kinda looks like a male to me and kinda like a female. Female guppies have colours only on their tail and males have colours on their bodies.
Could you provide us another picture?
Does this guppie has always open mouth?

emeraldking

It's definitely a male. The question will be: Is this a late male or a male that won't develop a full gonopodium? For it does happen that a male won't develop a fully developed gonopodium. If that will be the case, he won't be able to fertilize. A lot of late males will be larger than an average male of the same kind.

Tez

Guppytails I would say a male because I have one in my tank exactly the same and mines a male.

Guppytails

Thank you for the responses so far. It is larger in size and shape than the other males who were born around the same time. All of their gonopodiums were clear as day and they have a lot more colour to them than this guppy.

Its just I can't see a gravid spot on it, there are females considerably smaller than it who already have theirs, it's got a fair bit more colour on it compared to them though.

I just don't want to put it in the male tank and it get stressed out and die or have fry in there and try to fish them out in future if it is female.

If its male I don't want to leave it in a tank with about 40 females or I'll be in trouble.

There's a picture of the other males for comparison.

Tez

Guppytails said:
If its male I don't want to leave it in a tank with about 40 females or I'll be in trouble
It's definitely a male.

coralbandit

I sort my swordtails by sex and they do this way more often then gups .
Place that one with the males ..The only fish that will be stressed is the other males !

Guppytails

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll pop him in there now.

emeraldking

It's quite normal with late males which are larger than their male siblings to show less coloration on the body.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom