Male or Female Gourami Identification help!

sudarshansc

Hi!

Need your help in identifying the Dwarf gourami gender...the 1st 2 photos of the Gourami are of G1 (its the aggressive of the 2 gouramis and constantly chases the other gourami G2). 3rd and 4th pic are of G2 ....is always bullied by G1.
5th Pic is of both together.

Also, G1 has made a bubble nest with plants in the corner.

Regards,
Sudarshan

Ghelfaire

I would say they are both male with G2 being pale from stress

Aprilbeingbasic

G1 definitely male. G2 does have the finnage to be male too but dull colours could be female. Depends how stressed out g2. Don't really know why people are always told to get 2 gouramis haha they really rarely work. Its either 1 or a big tank with 4 or more to spread it out.

DoubleDutch

Aprilbeingbasic said:
G1 definitely male. G2 does have the finnage to be male too but dull colours could be female. Depends how stressed out g2. Don't really know why people are always told to get 2 gouramis haha they really rarely work. Its either 1 or a big tank with 4 or more to spread it out.
These both gouramis are both male without any doubt.

Males and females can live together as pair or harem if the tank is big enough and well planted.

One of these guys has to go otherwise they'll solve this issue themselves.

sudarshansc

thank you all!! yes i got 2 thinking the smaller one is pale and the fins were feminine ....but got it wrong i guess. They have been together for the past 4 months now but will shift out one and establish peace ....just another question; Why is it building a bubble nest when both are male?

DoubleDutch

sudarshansc said:
thank you all!! yes i got 2 thinking the smaller one is pale and the fins were feminine ....but got it wrong i guess. They have been together for the past 4 months now but will shift out one and establish peace ....just another question; Why is it building a bubble nest when both are male?
Instinct. He is hoping a female will pass by.
What is the watertemp ?

The females of these fish show 0% red color. Besides that the bodyshape is completely different than the males.

sudarshansc

DoubleDutch said:
Instinct. He is hoping a female will pass by.
What is the watertemp ?

The females of these fish show 0% red color. Besides that the bodyshape is completely different than the males.
Great insight. Will now try to find a female for him
Water Temp is 27 deg celsius.

Fae

Yes I agree with all above, but I also want to throw out there that depending where you're from and what fish stores you have available you might not be able to find a female locally. PetSmart/Petco don't sell them to the best of my knowledge, and they aren't common to find anyway. You might have to order online unless you have a trusted LFS, but even then I would be careful to find a well respected seller because of how prevalent iridiovirus (not sure if I spelled that right, dwarf gourami disease) is. Something like 25-50% or more fish farms with DG have it apparently

Kelvin12

Totally agree with Fae above. I lost my two males to the disease although it was suggested that it was TB. They were good mates up to a point until I introduced the females to the tank. Then it was every man for himself. The females are just plain silver no colouring.

DoubleDutch

sudarshansc said:
Great insight. Will now try to find a female for him
Water Temp is 27 deg celsius.
These fish are temp sensitive. Higher temps bring them in matingmood, so probably why it is building a bubblenest and showing dominance towards the other male.

Top Bottom