Male Or Female Gourami? I Can’t Tell

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Joseph28, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone :), can anyone help me figure out what my Gourami are? They’re both really friendly so i’m wondering if there’s a chance they’re male and female :)

Attached Files:

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I'm thinking two females

3. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

I really hope so! I heard that females are tough to find, not sure if that’s true or not but i’ll take it!

4. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Based on the finnage I'm pretty sure they're females, if one's a male though it should be the blue one

5. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Okay thank you, you’re the best! No wonder they’re so friendly.

6. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Both male ?
    Females rarely have any color ..
    You got a powder blue and I don't know ?
    Pretty sure two males though ...

7. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

powder blue and maybe a sunset? I thought the males had a more pointed dorsal fin. Look like males . but being that they appear to be dwarfs i'm not sure if i'm on the right track. still learning.

8. fjhWell Known MemberMember

blue looks male. I think the orange one is also male but harder to tell.
    basically if the top fin makes a pointed triangle, its male and if its rounded then female.

9. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I see two sets of rounded fins indicating females, but I'm not 100% on the powder blue

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Sorry guys bu there is not any doubt. These guys are both males. There probably will be war in the near future.

11. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Nooooo i’d hope not, i’m trying to keep the tank as peaceful as possible :(

12. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

If I wanted a female it would have to look like this

The DG is like guppy ..Many color variations but females are plain ,never or very rarely having any color in comparison to what you all are used to seeing .

13. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone! It’s been a while but i wanted to update you guys and ask a question... The gourami have been incredible, they’re friendly towards each other and the other fish and i have no problems with them. Even if they are both male i guess they just get along and think of each other as friends :)! I just got another gourami today and i think it might fit the description of being a female... It’s got rounded fins and faded colors. It’s supposed to be a blue dwarf but it seems so faded next to the blue dwarf this post is about... Can anyone tell what it is?

I took another picture, a bit clearer this time, it’s still really really shy

Attached Files: