Male or female german blue ram?

Nick Della Rocca

You must be registered to see images

Coradee

I would say it's a male

Nick Della Rocca

u think? I feel there's some bl;ue in the black.. but I have no idea. so ill get a female

Coradee

The spot isn't 100% reliable, my male has some blue scales in the spot & he's definitely a male

Waterhobit

Based on the dorsal fin, it is a male. The coloration indicators are a little less reliable.

Dark Storm

In my pair, one has a more domed head than the other, and also much larger than the other.

Nick Della Rocca

Alright. Thanks guys. Went to go get 2 females for him to choose his love. No LFSby me has any gbrs. Just balloon gbrs and electric blues. Guess its time to wait

hampalong

Male.

AndyVE

= male : form dorsal fin, no glowing spots in big black dot under this fin, and no pink belly (not always there with females)

= female: you can see the remarks above that you can see here but not on a male one.

Good luck with them!

Ps when they mate the first 4-5 times are trial runs (learning curve for them to guard it and...)
You'll all of the sudden see a bunch of white little eggs on the ground and them hovering over it (real close, almost on top).
Might be they do this somewhere out of sight so it looks like they dissapeared.

My two are still in that learning curve...but once every month is see some eggs.

hampalong

The black spot isn't a reliable sex indicator. Just Google Image ram pairs and you'll see both sexes can have blue in the black spot, or not.

Also both sexes grow elongated rays in the dorsal fin, so this method is only really reliable when comparing fish of the same size and age.

The best indicators are the pink belly, the general shape (easier with experience), and of course behaviour.

Nick Della Rocca

Well when I find them again I'm going to use it all. I try to buy the smallest but I'llmanage to buy around tthe size of my male.would an electric blue or gold ram work? Or bad idea?

Coradee

If you got an electric or gold male then you'd have aggression issues, if you got females then they may breed & who knows what the offspring would look like.
I would wait until you can find females to go with the male you have.

Nick Della Rocca

Yeah. I'd go females. Maybe one day later in life I'lltry to breed different variety. Who knows how "beautiful" they MAY look.

Edgar2Trees

my three rams, are they male or female? Thank you for you response and I bought as German blue rams is this correct?

Tigerburp

my three rams, are they male or female? Thank you for you response and I bought as German blue rams is this correct?
First photo is female ,the rest are male

jmaldo

Beautiful Rams. I struggle with gender id. Usually only 50% correct. Let's see what coralbandit has to say

Good Luck!

Edgar2Trees

Beautiful Rams. I struggle with gender id. Usually only 50% correct. Let's see what coralbandit has to say

Good Luck!
Thank you and yes coralbandit please shine in

chromedome52

All 3 are males. First is a Gold Ram, other two may be carrying a gold gene. Notice that the analfin goes back beyond the start of the caudal. Female's would be short.

Bwood22

Female GBRs have pink bellies like this one:

The 2nd pic is a Male GBR
The 1st pic looks like a male Gold Ram, its definitely not a GBR.

I'm not sure what to make of the 3rd pic.
Maybe hybrid....its face is a bit oddly shaped and its missing the black patch behind its shoulder. It's definitely a Male though.

Edgar2Trees

All 3 are males. First is a Gold Ram, other two may be carrying a gold gene. Notice that the analfin goes back beyond the start of the caudal. Female's would be short.
Dang it I was really hoping I had a female I just separated the German blue ram to his own tank

jmaldo

Notice that the analfin goes back beyond the start of the caudal. Female's would be short.
I know the longer analfin is one of the traits for a male, but I thought they were more pointed than round?

Edgar2Trees

Female GBRs have pink bellies like this one:

The 2nd pic is a Male GBR

I'm not sure what to make of the 3rd pic.
Maybe hybrid....its fsce is a bit oddly shaped and its missing the black patch behind its shoulder. It's definitely a Male though.
All of the Rams that I have been seeing had muted colors it’s really hard to tell the difference but I will look at thei
i was looking at the roundness of the top fin for a female I will start looking for the short analfin instead

Bwood22

I know the longer analfin is one of the traits for a male, but I thought they were more pointed than round?
That's true for the most part. It's easier to point out the females short rounded fin than try to determine how pointy the males fin is.

If it extends past the the start of the tail fin then its a Male.
That 3rd pic looks like GBR/Bolivian Hybrid

Dunk2

Maybe just a slight distinction, but Gold Rams (and others) are color variants of the German Blue Ram.

coralbandit

All 3 male all with gold in their genes .
There are many tells and rarely do you get to see them all.
Some are hit and miss[ like blue in the black spot] .
The analfin reaching into the tail is usually a good tell .
Males tend to not be as robust around their bellies also IMO ..

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
1Sushi1
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl