Male or female dwarf gouramis?

Rsha94

Hi all,
I have bought two dwarf gouramis. I was sold them both as males and after bringing them home, i am not too sure what they are. Their fins are different, one looks male to me and the other female.
Can anyone help?
Thank you.

Attachments

• 9D3CE7A4-E0E5-4B6C-ABF7-CC1D6670EA47.jpeg
    9D3CE7A4-E0E5-4B6C-ABF7-CC1D6670EA47.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 34

jinjerJOSH22

Hi both are males. Males have large fins that can be pointed or rather rounded like in the top picture. But the most obvious way of telling is the colour, females will never have such brilliant colouration as the males do.

There’s an exception with the “powder blue” colouration, where they look similar, but males have a red around the fins that females typically don’t.
To add, it’s not a good idea to keep multiple in a tank. Two males will eventually become just one.

Rsha94

Hi both are males. Males have large fins that can be pointed or rather rounded like in the top picture. But the most obvious way of telling is the colour, females will never have such brilliant colouration as the males do.

There’s an exception with the “powder blue” colouration, where they look similar, but males have a red around the fins that females typically don’t.
To add, it’s not a good idea to keep multiple in a tank. Two males will eventually become just one.
Thanks for your reply, i was advised they would be fine when buying them. But i have just read about keeping two males together and it doesn’t seem to be a good idea. They have been fine towards each other since i got them. They are the only two in a 31 gallon tank at the moment, i will be adding more fish in future.

jinjerJOSH22

Thanks for your reply, i was advised they would be fine when buying them. But i have just read about keeping two males together and it doesn’t seem to be a good idea. They have been fine towards each other since i got them. They are the only two in a 31 gallon tank at the moment, i will be adding more fish in future.
You're welcome.
That is quite common advice you hear and in my opinion not very good advice.
It can happen after a day, or even 3 months but there is usually tension between these fish and for Dwarf Gourami that can end badly for other reasons. Keep in mind fish bought in stores are usually younger fish and not necessarily mature. As they mature you will likely have more issues.

I'll link my article: My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius
Feel free to read this.

Rsha94

You're welcome.
That is quite common advice you hear and in my opinion not very good advice.
It can happen after a day, or even 3 months but there is usually tension between these fish and for Dwarf Gourami that can end badly for other reasons. Keep in mind fish bought in stores are usually younger fish and not necessarily mature. As they mature you will likely have more issues.

I'll link my article: My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius
Feel free to read this.
Oh no, that sounds worrying. I am not able to return the fish as the shop doesn’t allow it, should i just wait it out and see how they get on? I have got a smaller second tank but I don’t really want to introduce the gourami in there, as they have been getting along fine for months now(corydoras, guppies, platys and female betta)

jinjerJOSH22

Oh no, that sounds worrying. I am not able to return the fish as the shop doesn’t allow it, should i just wait it out and see how they get on?
You could but there is a lot of cases where this goes terribly wrong(in bigger tanks too). Could you try a different fish store? Explain the situation to the current fish store, post an add online, offer it to a local club or some you know.
I have got a smaller second tank but I don’t really want to introduce the gourami in there, as they have been getting along fine for months now(corydoras, guppies, platys and female betta)
I really wouldn't add one to a tank with a Betta(male or female) it would likely go no better than having two males together.

I think when you have 50 posts on fishlore you can post in the section for buying and selling fish on this forum.

I would start off by talking to the fish store you bought them from. Any self-respecting store(in my opinion) would take a fish back. Whether you would get anything for it is another question.

Rsha94

You could but there is a lot of cases where this goes terribly wrong(in bigger tanks too). Could you try a different fish store? Explain the situation to the current fish store, post an add online, offer it to a local club or some you know.

I really wouldn't add one to a tank with a Betta(male or female) it would likely go no better than having two males together.

I think when you have 50 posts on fishlore you can post in the section for buying and selling fish on this forum.

I would start off by talking to the fish store you bought them from. Any self-respecting store(in my opinion) would take a fish back. Whether you would get anything for it is another question.
Im in the UK, the fish was purchased from pets at home. I have asked about a different fish previously and they have said they will not take any returns. Instead they advised i get another tank(which is not ideal considering i have 2) also i don't really have anyone i know who could take it. I will try posting It online to see if anyone wants it.

jinjerJOSH22

Im in the UK, the fish was purchased from pets at home. I have asked about a different fish previously and they have said they will not take any returns. Instead they advised i get another tank(which is not ideal considering i have 2) also i don't really have anyone i know who could take it. I will try posting It online to see if anyone wants it.
Hmmn, do you have a Maidenhead aquatics nearby? They are usually really good in my experience. If not look for a nearby privately owned store, those are your best shots. I think it's usually quite common practice in the UK to rehome fish back in stores. Though keep in mind you won't likely get a refund for the fish. It could be last time you got unlucky in who you asked, it happens.

Rsha94

Hmmn, do you have a Maidenhead aquatics nearby? They are usually really good in my experience. If not look for a nearby privately owned store, those are your best shots. I think it's usually quite common practice in the UK to rehome fish back in stores. Though keep in mind you won't likely get a refund for the fish. It could be last time you got unlucky in who you asked, it happens.
I haven’t seen one anywhere near me, pets at home is where i usually go, along with a lfs. So i will check with them tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you for the advise.

jinjerJOSH22

yea he right it’s a male
Wait actually, mr gourami guru pleas explain this for me, idk if I’m just crazy but something is off…
All About Anabantoids (Gourami and Bettas) | Fishwise
Idk of thats a male..
It’s 100% a male, I’m not quite sure what you are referring to in that article.
I imagine it’s the rounded fin shape? This just isn’t a good way of telling with Dwarf Gourami. Size of the dorsal matters but not so much shape, although you won’t likely see a female with a pointed fin.

Swiftyfishy2008

It’s 100% a male, I’m not quite sure what you are referring to in that article.
I imagine it’s the rounded fin shape? This just isn’t a good way of telling with Dwarf Gourami. Size of the dorsal matters but not so much shape, although you won’t likely see a female with a pointed fin.
I thought they were female at first, but if the size matters it is probably a male cause it has big dorsal fins.

jinjerJOSH22

I thought they were female at first, but if the size matters it is probably a male cause it has big dorsal fins.
The colour of the fish is far more important when it comes to sexing Dwarf Gourami or rather far easier to tell.
This is an example of a female Dwarf:

1633106855870.png
As you can see, they are quite different in colour.

Swiftyfishy2008

The colour of the fish is far more important when it comes to sexing Dwarf Gourami or rather far easier to tell.
This is an example of a female Dwarf:

1633106855870.png
As you can see, they are quite different in colour.
So are females more colorful then males or the other way around?

jinjerJOSH22

So are females more colorful then males or the other way around?
Males are more colourful.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pikephillips322
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question