Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Male Or Female Bristlenose Pleco?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Miccoh Mendoza, May 13, 2019.

1. Miccoh Mendoza New Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I need your opinion on my L144 bristlenose pleco, i want to know if it’s a male or a female. I my opinion it’s a female because it’s about 2 years old now. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Those bristles look a bit big for a female IMO, but there also aren't as many as I would expect to see on a male....yeah nevermind, I'm not sure

3. Miccoh Mendoza New Member Member

HAHAHA it’s hard to tell. It has absolutely no bristles above the nose near the eyes.

4. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah this one has me stumped, @DoubleDutch can probably give you an answer

5. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I say throw a female in and see what happens ;) My guess is male but not 100%. Maybe try looking at the belly, I know I can see the eggs and plump belly in my adult female. I also have a female with bristles on the edge of her lip but they aren’t that long.

6. fissh Well Known Member Member

looks like a young male. A few more years and it will look kike this.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I go with @Demeter
    My females have very small "bristles"

8. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I say male.

I have never seen a female with bristles that long. And the small bristles that females occasionally do get.. certainly don't fork off like I see at least one bristle doing there in the middle. That one bristle is also a tad bit higher than the ones along the lip.

I am pretty certain that is a male.

9. Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Any chance you can get a shot on a light background of it? I am honestly leaning towards make based on body shape and the "heart" on the back of the head.
    While females do get bristles (and sometimes long ones), I've not seen one with branched bristles. And some males don't have the genes to get monster tentacle face.

10. Miccoh Mendoza New Member Member

Here’s another photo

Attached Files:

11. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Its definitely a boy.

12. Miccoh Mendoza New Member Member

How old is your male?

13. fissh Well Known Member Member

6 or 7 years