Male Or Female Bolivian Rams?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its been a while since I kept Bolivians, but I'll offer this advice. Male traits, The analfin will be pointed and extend past the body - tail fin connection. Although female Bolivians can have tail fin streamers, the streamers on the male tail fin are usually longer. The male Bolivians often have "mini" nuchal humps on their forehead. Females foreheads are more rounded. Hope this helps.

OP
Stefanie1234

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
Its been a while since I kept Bolivians, but I'll offer this advice. Male traits, The analfin will be pointed and extend past the body - tail fin connection. Although female Bolivians can have tail fin streamers, the streamers on the male tail fin are usually longer. The male Bolivians often have "mini" nuchal humps on their forehead. Females foreheads are more rounded. Hope this helps.
Based off of that I would say middle of the first photo is male and top right of second photo female because of the rounded "football
shape.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought what I thought were 2 male bolivians and it turns out I have 1 male + female. They haven't hooked up yet though. Oftentimes they are sold b/f you can really tell the gender. The tell tale sign is that females have a bigger squarish tube where the eggs come out. But when they're sold at stores, they're usually not mature enough yet.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@A201 has you covered it seems. Just to note, Bolivians are notorious for displaying the characteristics of the opposite gender. For instance my females all have long trailers and deep black dorsal rays. The easiest ways that work most often for me are to look at the breeding tube and head shape. Females will have a more rounded head as said above while the males will have a bit of a bump. The most reliable way for me is the breeding tube. Females will have a much thicker tube to allow eggs to pass through, while the males tube will be smaller. Here's some pics:
Male tube:
Screenshot_20190528-233355.png

Female tube:
Screenshot_20190627-014930.png

They are my favourite fish so you've chosen brilliantly!! Those are very nice rams too. Choose those that are obviously displaying the characteristics of one sex. Sometimes there can be those that look halfway between each. One of my females for instance was the most masculine ram in the tank I got her from. The only feminine traits she had were the head shape and breeding tube.

OP
Stefanie1234

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
@A201 has you covered it seems. Just to note, Bolivians are notorious for displaying the characteristics of the opposite gender. For instance my females all have long trailers and deep black dorsal rays. The easiest ways that work most often for me are to look at the breeding tube and head shape. Females will have a more rounded head as said above while the males will have a bit of a bump. The most reliable way for me is the breeding tube. Females will have a much thicker tube to allow eggs to pass through, while the males tube will be smaller. Here's some pics:
Male tube:
View attachment 606467
Female tube:
View attachment 606468
They are my favourite fish so you've chosen brilliantly!! Those are very nice rams too. Choose those that are obviously displaying the characteristics of one sex. Sometimes there can be those that look halfway between each. One of my females for instance was the most masculine ram in the tank I got her from. The only feminine traits she had were the head shape and breeding tube.
Thank you SO much!!

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.6%

Top Bottom