Male Or Female Balloon Mollies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houla

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi guys. Total newby here. Can you tell me whether my mollies are male or female? I'm pretty sure the orange one is male (sorry he's pooping in the photo!) and I think the black bellied one may be female but I'm really not sure and I have no clue about the third! Thanks in advance

Attachments

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those are all males, the analfin is rod shaped, on a female it will be fan shaped.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

They are males, you can tell by the analfin!

Sadly, balloon mollys are products of a genetic defect causing their spine to grow irregularly, this cause them to have health problems and a shorter life

Houla

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you both for your replies. I wish I had known before buying. I should have done more research. That's really sad. Certainly not something I would want to encourage either. Why do reputable stores sell them? I don't think they should. Poor things.

As for them all being male, will they get on? Knowing about the genetic defect I don't want to swap any out for females or anything like that. I won't be getting any more.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you both for your replies. I wish I had known before buying. I should have done more research. That's really sad. Certainly not something I would want to encourage either. Why do reputable stores sell them? I don't think they should. Poor things.

As for them all being male, will they get on? Knowing about the genetic defect I don't want to swap any out for females or anything like that. I won't be getting any more.
They shouldn't fight much, but that also depends on the males personality as well. they shouldn't be able to catch each other easily at least.
Most people that but then don't know it is harmful to the fish for them to be balloon molly (or whichever breed has been bred for a shortened spine).

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They shouldn't fight much, but that also depends on the males personality as well. they shouldn't be able to catch each other easily at least.
Most people that but then don't know it is harmful to the fish for them to be balloon molly (or whichever breed has been bred for a shortened spine).
Yeah, it's just people don't realize it's a defect, there are other fish in the hobby like that such as the pearl gourami or goldfish

Houla

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you. I'll make sure I don't buy any of those either! These guys seem to be getting on okay so far, touch wood! Cheers. Lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom