Male Or Female Apistogramma

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Clancey, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Hi again yall. Recently purchased this "female apistogramma agassizii double red." It was sold to me as a female. Is it a female. And is this the correct species of apistogramma? I uploaded a picture of the Male and a picture of the female.

Attached Files:

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Top looks like a female agssizii. She looks like maybe orange flash variety.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Well, it does appear to be agassizi of the aquarium bred super Red strain. (Double Red is a strain of Cockatoo.) The second photo looks like a young male, but these aquarium strains have a problem with females taking on male characteristics. First photo looks more female, except that it doesn't have the black ventrals I would expect to see. Call it "indeterminate".

@SaltyPhone Orange Flash is a variety of cacatuoides, not aggies.

4. OP
    OP
    Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

I have some better pictures of her now

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Here is another picture of the Male if that helps with the identity

Attached Files:

6. chromedome52

I'd say that's a pair. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Ok also the female flairs up a lot and changes from a dirty yellow to a more bright yellow. And the Male is quit aggressive towards her especially during feeding time. Are they getting along?

8. chromedome52

If he's not beating on her, they're getting along. When she gets brighter yellow, that suggests that she is interested in breeding.

9. OP
    OP
    Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Ok cool didnt know that

10. DioAquatics

DioAquaticsFishlore VIPMember

Agreed with above post about the male being aggressive to her. Her being bright yellow is her breeding dress and she's ready to spawn. Her flaring at the male is her trying to get him to bred with her.