Male Or Female Apistogramma

Clancey

Reaction score
HI again yall. Recently purchased this "female apistogramma agassiziI double red." It was sold to me as a female. Is it a female. And is this the correct species of apistogramma? I uploaded a picture of the Male and a picture of the female.

Attachments

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, it does appear to be agassizI of the aquarium bred super Red strain. (Double Red is a strain of Cockatoo.) The second photo looks like a young male, but these aquarium strains have a problem with females taking on male characteristics. First photo looks more female, except that it doesn't have the black ventrals I would expect to see. Call it "indeterminate".

SaltyPhone Orange Flash is a variety of cacatuoides, not aggies.

OP
Clancey

Clancey

Reaction score
SaltyPhone said:
Top looks like a female agssizii. She looks like maybe orange flash variety.
chromedome52 said:
Well, it does appear to be agassizI of the aquarium bred super Red strain. (Double Red is a strain of Cockatoo.) The second photo looks like a young male, but these aquarium strains have a problem with females taking on male characteristics. First photo looks more female, except that it doesn't have the black ventrals I would expect to see. Call it "indeterminate".

I have some better pictures of her now

Attachments

OP
Clancey

Clancey

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
I'd say that's a pair. Good luck!
chromedome52 said:

SaltyPhone said:
Top looks like a female agssizii. She looks like maybe orange flash variety.
Ok also the female flairs up a lot and changes from a dirty yellow to a more bright yellow. And the Male is quit aggressive towards her especially during feeding time. Are they getting along?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he's not beating on her, they're getting along. When she gets brighter yellow, that suggests that she is interested in breeding.

OP
Clancey

Clancey

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
If he's not beating on her, they're getting along. When she gets brighter yellow, that suggests that she is interested in breeding.
Ok cool didnt know that

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agreed with above post about the male being aggressive to her. Her being bright yellow is her breeding dress and she's ready to spawn. Her flaring at the male is her trying to get him to bred with her.

TropicalMike

Reaction score
Hi, I also have a sexing problem with a pair of Double Red Apistogrammas well they were sold as a very young pair, someone on another forum says they are both males but the one at the bottom goes very pale yellow and the top one is usually deep blue, top one flares up at bottom one as she? goes in and out of caves and he flares up outside the cave. So can anyone say for sure whether I have a pair or two males.
double reds.jpg

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TropicalMike said:
Hi, I also have a sexing problem with a pair of Double Red Apistogrammas well they were sold as a very young pair, someone on another forum says they are both males but the one at the bottom goes very pale yellow and the top one is usually deep blue, top one flares up at bottom one as she? goes in and out of caves and he flares up outside the cave. So can anyone say for sure whether I have a pair or two males.
double reds.jpg
I say those are both males too. The one on the bottom is the sub-dominant male so he won’t be as “flashy” as the dominant male. Females are much more yellow even when they’re not in breeding dress.

TropicalMike

Reaction score
DioAquatics said:
I say those are both males too. The one on the bottom is the sub-dominant male so he won’t be as “flashy” as the dominant male. Females are much more yellow even when they’re not in breeding dress.
Thanks Dio not what I wanted to hear but I thought as much, I guess I need to find some females but they only appear to be sold as pairs(two males in this case) here in England, wish me luck.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TropicalMike said:
Thanks Dio not what I wanted to hear but I thought as much, I guess I need to find some females but they only appear to be sold as pairs(two males in this case) here in England, wish me luck.
Good luck finding some females. I kept Fire reds before and the females were pretty easy to tell apart (at least for me).