Male or female angelfish?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Leigh82, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Leigh82

Leigh82 New Member Member

Hi,

I wondered if you guys could help tell the sex of my angelfish please. I know I have a female in the tank already as she is getting ready to lay eggs I think, is this one a male?

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Angels are notoriously hard to sex, and the only sure way to tell is to look at their breeding tubes when they have them extended (usually only around breeding time).

3. OP
    OP
    Leigh82

I have looked at tips online to tell them apart, there is no breeding tube on this one as far as I can see. My other one has a pink tube protruding and is currently rubbing her belly up against a large leaf so I'm guessing she is female and getting ready to lay eggs?

4. TexasDomer

They all have breeding tubes, but when unextended they're inside the body.

What does the tube look like? Sounds like she's female. You'll have to wait until the other extends his/her tube to sex them. It's possible you have two females, as they can spawn without a male (though obviously all eggs will be infertile).

5. OP
    OP
    Leigh82

Thanks, this is a pic just as she (I think its a she) was about to rub against the leaf. The other one is not going near the leaf at all just now and can't see any tube they are both scaring the harlequins away if they go near it tho

If she is a she and going to lay how long does the rubbing against the leaf last before eggs are laid?

6. TexasDomer

Looks like a female to me! Males have thin, pointy tubes.

If she is going to lay eggs, it should be within the next few hours to a few days.

7. OP
    OP
    Leigh82

She's laying eggs! Yay :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  8. TexasDomer

Congrats :) Let us know if they're fertilized by the other!

9. OP
    OP
    Leigh82

Well that was an eventful evening, once the eggs were laid it looked like the two angels were fighting at first, then chasing each other and locking lips while both vigorously shaking.....they then both together ate all the eggs!

The one in my first picture is now chasing the female around the tank and she is now hiding at the back of the tank

10. TexasDomer

You may have two females then. It's not uncommon for them to eat their eggs the first few cycles. They're obviously not worth pulling if the unknown angel isn't fertilizing them (due to her being a female or due to him not fertilizing the eggs - depending on what sex it is!).

11. OP
    OP
    Leigh82

Well I hope they start to get along again the one that laid the eggs seems scared of the other at the moment...

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks if they lay again it not. Thanks :)

12. TexasDomer

Keep us updated :)

13. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

They will continue to lay eggs :p

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I hope you enjoy the forum.

15. OP
    OP
    Leigh82

Thanks will keep you updated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice