1. b

bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

What sort of fish are those? I have some that are identical and are rainbow cichlids. They're notoriously hard to sex.

3. OP
    OP
    b

Top picture is a chocolate and a green severum. 2nd is still the chocolate. 3rd is a rainbow. And 4th is an angel and blue acara.

4. W

I can only really help for the rainbow cichlid. I'd say that it's a female judging by its more curved dorsal fins, males are more pointed but as I said, it can be hard to tell. Nice fish though.

5. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks! The rainbow all day long will swim from the bottom of the tank to the top and back down right up next to the glass like its playing with its reflection lol

6. W

Mine do the same. I have two males although like yours, they're not as yellow as I've seen. Maybe they'll change with age.

7. I

Ichthyologistinmaking Valued Member Member

I would say that your Angelfish is a male, based on body and head shape, but it is a little difficult to tell for sure without much closer picture of the fish, your fish are all quite nice as well.:p

8. OP
    OP
    b

Thats what i think as well. And thank you for the compliment. Next week i will be getting a red spot severum.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The Chocolate, Severum, and Acara are all too young to sex. The Rainbow Cichlid doesn't really look like one or the other. The Angel is too hard to see in that photo to try to sex, though it appears to be mature enough. A closer photo would be better.

10. I

I have never seen a red spot severum before, hopefully it will look just as beautiful as your other fish, and also hope you post a pic or two!:p and while the photo of the angel may not be perfectly clear to identify the morphological characteristics you can see in the photo are enough to suggest a gender, a secondary photo, up close and without the glare, as well as directly on the side would be the best for sex id, but certainly not an easy shot to take.

11. OP
    OP
    b

[​IMG]
    I was able to get this one. And red spot severums are beautiful i will definately post one when i get it.

12. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

From that photo, I would call that Angel a female with about 80% probability. It does have sort of a fat forehead, but females can get that if they are fed really well. The ventral fins, the abdominal profile, both say female to me.

13. OP
    OP
    b

It definately eats well. It is very aggressive and makes it hard on the other fish. I have actually contemplated selling it to my lfs its so aggressive.

14. I

With the much clearer picture, I agree with chromedome, most likely a female. And if you think selling it is the best option for the fish and its tank mates, then yeah, do it, I'm sure a beautiful angel like that will be picked up pretty quickly!

15. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks for the input. And yeah she is beautiful but she just makes it rough for the other fish. Im not quite sure why. I know they can be aggressive but this one is one of the most aggressive i have ever seen.

16. I

Perhaps she's on edge without dense cover? Your tank is pretty well set up but there isn't exactly a lot of spots for a tall angelfish to hide from what I can see, a plant like eel grass might be more to the angels liking.

17. OP
    OP
    b

Okay i will try that! Thank you! Would maybe a tall cave or tall tank decoration work as well with the eel grass around it?

18. I

I think that would be perfect, especially with some of the eel grass nearby, I'd definitely recommend a plant like eel grass with angels, vallisneria Americana would work well as the long thin leaves would also help match the stripes in wild Angels, though it can get pretty big, as for the cave, I would put it in an area where your angel usually hangs around, also, definitely make sure the cave has more height than the fully extended fins of you angel, as for setting up the vals, I'd recommend a large cluster close to the entrance to the cave, with several smaller patches near by, just so your angel has a bunch of spots to swim in and around, and it can hide its whole body to feel really secure.

19. I

I must admit, I'm not exactly an expert on Angels, but I do understand a good deal about fish behavior in general, as well as natural habitats, as its my intended career path, I may be incorrect, but it was a thought that popped into my head since I've seen something similar occur with other fish, as I used to have goldfish, we had the one goldfish, I believe it was an orando, or something, short chubby bodied fish, and a bunch of comets, the comets could all hide easily, but not the fat goldfish, and it became very aggressive to the others, we added a cave that it would fit in, and that stopped the aggression completely.

20. OP
    OP
    b

Thats so much for the input. I really dont want to rehome the angel if i dont have to so i will definately be trying this and hoping it helps. The angel was my first fish and would really like to keep her.