Male Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish Chasing Other Male

1. alexbeal1117

alexbeal1117 Valued Member Member

The dominant neon dwarf rainbowfish in my tank is chasing the smaller less dominant male. The dominant one has a gold stripe down his head, so I'm guessing he's ready to mate. They're in a community tank with other fish but the dominant male only bothers the less dominant male. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Or lessen the aggression? As getting a 3rd male or more female. Currently there's 4 females and 2 males.

2. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

What size is the tank. It's probably a dominance thing. I have never experienced the gold stripe thing and I had 2 males and 2 females.
    Maybe get some plants so the non dominant can hide, or put one in a different tank
    Like I said I never had this trouble with mine

3. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Get a third male. This is exactly why it's suggested to only have one male, or at least three :)

The gold stripe on the head is "flashing", and they will do that both at other males and at the females.

4. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

How come mine never flashed then?

5. OP
    OP
    alexbeal1117

alexbeal1117 Valued Member Member

Well they're in a 30g community. The dominant one only bothers the less dominant one

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Could be any number of reasons, but happy rainbowfish generally show off a whole lot, particularly in the morning. They do like plenty of clean water and plants.

Another male will spread the attention around a bit. They are not generally aggressive, but the constant chasing can wear out a less-dominant one if it's always the focus of the attention. The flashing and displaying is one of the awesome things about rainbows, it is fun to watch :)