Male Mutli attacking female??

SomyaValecha

I have a 10-Gallon tank which I separated with a divider. On one side I have 2 female Multies and 1 male multi. I kept the ratio of male:female to 1:2 since I heard it was better.

Recently, one of the females has been staying close to her shell and hides every time the male multi sees her. I’ve seen the male try to attack the female too. Also, the two females are now flaring at each other like they’re trying to protect their territory. Could this indicate that she has fry in her shell or do I need to separate the female and male permanently? I put her on the other side of the divider for a few minutes to see if she was stressed and now she seems much more active and is swimming around. However, she’s glass surfing.

If needed I can put her in my 75 gallon with another male I have. I just want to make sure she doesn’t have fry in her shell and that I’m not messing up her set up.

Demeter

So long as there is no or minimal damage from the fighting you should leave them alone. It is possible you have two males but when males fight they usually lip-lock and do more damage.

Shell guarding by females can indicate eggs/fry but by moving the female and stressing her out you may cause her to eat the spawn. Shellies are great parents, both parents will help to protect the fry. You simply have to wait and see how things go.
Maybe add more shells and a few tall rocks to break up territories and block line of sight.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Livxaa
  • Question
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
  • Question
Replies