Male Mosquitofish/fancy Female Guppy Hybrids

Jimmie93

I produced these a while back they are fully grown now and look very similar to endlers. I'm not sure if they bread with each other or another guppy as they are in my community tank now but one of the females gave birth to 3 fry a few days ago. A plain male mosquitofish was bread with a female fancy guppy to produce these they are about half the size of a guppy.

957V1ue.jpg

KsWqgWb.jpg

K4w5XvF.jpg

uQDUrDO.jpg

Coradee

Pretty fish

Mcasella

They honestly look like feeder guppies.

Jimmie93

They honestly look like feeder guppies.
These hybrids are basically what feeder guppies is the only difference is mine will probably live longer as they wasn't mass produced for feeding.

nanofishneeded

Look sort of like orchid Endler's...

JaksAquatics

I heard someone tell me that mosquitofish couldn't breed with guppies

nanofishneeded

Believe it or not they can! IME most of the time it seems to be a male guppy and a female mosquitofish, but it definitely happens.

chromedome52

Believe it or not they can! IME most of the time it seems to be a male guppy and a female mosquitofish, but it definitely happens.

There are no proven hybrids of guppies with mosquitofish. The gonopodium of either one cannot impregnate females of the other species. Most likely any claims otherwise involve females that had already mated with a male of their own species, from which they can have several batches of young spread over a nine to twelve month period without additional matings. Not that male guppies wouldn't try, but their gonopodium is too short and has the wrong holding hooks. Genetic compatibility is also very unlikely between the two genera involved.

Jimmie93

There are no proven hybrids of guppies with mosquitofish. The gonopodium of either one cannot impregnate females of the other species. Most likely any claims otherwise involve females that had already mated with a male of their own species, from which they can have several batches of young spread over a nine to twelve month period without additional matings. Not that male guppies wouldn't try, but their gonopodium is too short and has the wrong holding hooks. Genetic compatibility is also very unlikely between the two genera involved.
These are for sure hybrids but they didn't last most of them died out I only have a few left and they no longer reproduce.The females look like basic mosquitofish and the males are similar to endlers except the dorsal fin is long and wavy.

chromedome52

These are for sure hybrids but they didn't last most of them died out I only have a few left and they no longer reproduce.The females look like basic mosquitofish and the males are similar to endlers except the dorsal fin is long and wavy.

The photos at the start of this thread all show guppies, males and females both. You probably had a female that had been impregnated previously by a male guppy, and she had additional batches of young from the one mating. They can have several batches over a year's time without mating again. You did NOT have hybrids.

Jimmie93

The photos at the start of this thread all show guppies, males and females both. You probably had a female that had been impregnated previously by a male guppy, and she had additional batches of young from the one mating. They can have several batches over a year's time without mating again. You did NOT have hybrids.
So you are telling me these are fancy guppies? Which is the only fish I had in the tank before I introduced the mosquitofish.

Even the size is wrong they are about the quarter of the size compared to the guppies I had.

chromedome52

If you put the wrong varieties of "fancy" guppies together, yes, the fry will be throwbacks to the basic wild type, aka, Feeder Guppies. As for the size, that has to do with environmental conditions: bad water, wrong temperature, poor or insufficient food, or overcrowding at a young age.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KaneAdams
  • Question
  • Chiasmodon
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • FishguyAU
  • Guppy