Male molly have gravid spot?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by UnderworldKeeper, Jul 24, 2015.

1. UnderworldKeeperValued MemberMember

Ok so usually my male mollies always swim together but lately been agressive to each other. Today i saw one chases other fishes away, even female ones. He has the pointy fin like male guppies so i dont understand. Please help. I try to include a pic

Attached Files:

2. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Can you get an actual clear photo of him? The only thing I can tell from the photo is that the fish in it has an internal infection of some sort.

3. OP
    OP
    U

UnderworldKeeperValued MemberMember

Ok. Here it is. Can u see? The dark spot is like 4mm in diameter? I have another mickey mouse molly same breed and colour who does not have this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

You need to get a closeup shot of him. And please upload it to the forum, external links are a pain in the butt for some of us.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

That's a hifin Blue Mickey Mouse Platy, not a molly. It looks more like the anal fin is folded up, not modified into a gonopodium, in which case that is a female and a gravid spot is perfectly normal.

Not saying they can't exist, but I've never heard of a Mickey Mouse Molly.

6. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster AltmillerValued MemberMember

I agree. It's a platy not a molly. But I can't see the anal fin clearly enough to tell for sure if it's male or female; though it does look like a pregnant female to me shape-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    U

Yah the fish store say they are mickey mouse molly. And when i searched online, both platy and molly have mickey mouse searches? Im a noob in this fish so i need help. It is a clear gonopodium tho. Cuz i have a lot of guppies to know the difference. Sorry i couldnt get a clearer pic =(

8. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster AltmillerValued MemberMember

There's no such thing as a Mickey Mouse Molly. It's a platy.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    U

I see. So other than the possibility it is pregnant, does anyone have an idea why the tummy area is darker colour?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice