Male molly fighting female!

ojlivvy

Have had two mollies for 6 months in a 10 gallon tank. Thought they were both female, but one turned out to be male.

I have a male molly and a female molly and recently, he has started aggressively fighting the female when i feed them. She is able to get some food without him looking, but I know it stresses her out. Otherwise, their relationship is normal and he follows her sometimes. They had 4 babies and I want to put them all in a 20 gallon tank, but would like this issue fixed.
Also, should I try and separate the male and female mollies with a partition in the 20 gal, or just try and make sure the ratio of male to female is 1:2

jkkgron2

I would move them all into the 20gallon, and get another female to help spread out aggression. IMO 29 gallons is best for mollies, but a 20 gallon is ok too.

Upvote 0

Cryoraptor

You should get more females.

Upvote 0

ojlivvy

I would move them all into the 20gallon, and get another female to help spread out aggression. IMO 29 gallons is best for mollies, but a 20 gallon is ok too.
Is a 20 gallon tank okay for 6-7 mollies? As of right now, my bigger mollies have been trying to eat the smaller ones. I have them separated right now, but did a test to see how they’d react from being unseparated. I will definitely check out another female molly if it isnt too overcrowded. Will the male breed with both of them, though?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Is a 20 gallon tank okay for 6-7 mollies? As of right now, my bigger mollies have been trying to eat the smaller ones. I have them separated right now, but did a test to see how they’d react from being unseparated. I will definitely check out another female molly if it isnt too overcrowded. Will the male breed with both of them, though?
I think that a 29 gallon would be better, but whether it’ll work depends on if it’s a 20 long or high. Maybe you could rehome the female? That will make it a bit easier, because then you won’t get any more babies/it’ll prevent overcrowding .

Upvote 0

RayClem

With livebearers it is best to have either all males or all females unless it is your intention to breed them and you have a plan for getting rid of the babies as they grow up.

I started with one male platy and two female platys in a 55 gallon tank. Now I have about 50 babies ranging from 1/4" up to 2". I have no idea what I am going to do with them all. Some of the larger juveniles will be of breeding age soon. :eek:

If you do plan to keep a mixture of males and females, you need to keep 2-3 females for every one male. If you have one male and one female, the male will pester the female incessantly. The female is likely to get killed or get sick from the stress.

Thus, I would suggest you try to rehome either the male or female and then make sure you get additional mollies of the same sex as the remaining one.

Upvote 0

ojlivvy

I think that a 29 gallon would be better, but whether it’ll work depends on if it’s a 20 long or high. Maybe you could rehome the female? That will make it a bit easier, because then you won’t get any more babies/it’ll prevent overcrowding .
It’s a long 20 gal. Will the baby mollies breed when they get older?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

It’s a long 20 gal. Will the baby mollies breed when they get older?
Probably. You may want to rehome any female mollies once the babies mature.

Upvote 0

ojlivvy

Probably. You may want to rehome any female mollies once the babies mature.
Hmmm this sucks. I love my mollies. Would it be better to have all females or males? I heard males could get angsty.
Hmmm this sucks. I love my mollies. Would it be better to have all females or males? I heard males could get angsty.
I was thinking of adding a partition in the 20 gal and separating males and females

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I was thinking of adding a partition in the 20 gal and separating males and females
You could add in a divider to separate males and females.

Upvote 0

ojlivvy

You could add in a divider to separate males and females.
Perfect. Thank you guys for all your help! I hope to become more knowledgeable in this area.

Upvote 0

Cryoraptor

If you're going for same-sex, go for all-males. To my knowledge, male mollies shouldn't become aggressive towards each other. That only applies to male swordtails who do need to live in mixed-sex groups to prevent aggression. If you get all-females, they will all be pregnant from males in the store and you'll end up with fry anyway.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Caterpie
  • Molly
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • Mystic837
  • Molly
Replies