Male Molly behaving odd

TessFishRescue

I have one male gold dust molly who started acting weird today. He got something like fish zoomies mixed with overly excited to try mating with everyone and everything in the tank. He also seems to have a white spot on the tip of his male part. he is the only molly in the tank, but there are two white cloud minnows, two female guppies, two adult female platties, four baby platties, and a serpae tetra. It's a ten gallon tank and everyone gets along great. He has never shown interest in mating until the baby (juvenile) platties were added. The molly is also doing a wiggle when he is hovering and sways his head back and forth rapidly. I did a water change earlier today and added a little bit more stress coat to see if that would help. I just noticed that he is now hovering vertically against the heater in the back. He is keeping his tail and dorsal fins closed instead of fanned out. He is looking very agitated.

Do mollies get a sperm plug type of thing or parasites in that area?
Any information or suggestions as to what I should try next?

Rparker

Could it possibly be Ick? I would do some research and see if what you find matches your situation. If its Ick, the fish and tank need to be treated IMMEDIATELY.

TessFishRescue

It could be... I've just never seen it on the analfin before. The quality isn't great, but I attached a few pictures. I have an ick treatment that I can start tonight. So far, no one else is showing symptoms.

Rparker

Looks like it could also be Lymphocystis. I would honestly search online and compare it your situation to try and get more clarity. Lymphocystis and Ick can look similar and cause the same symptoms. Not sure of treatment on Lymphocystis though. Beautiful fish btw. I love the Mickey Mouse platy.

TessFishRescue

What I am finding on Lymphocystis is that it is not medicinally treatable. It is caused by a virus but usually doesn't cause problems or become apparent unless the fish become stressed and their immune system is reduced. There have been some cases where the stressor was removed and the fish was able to fight off the infection and return to more normal appearance. There have also been cases where the infection worsened to the point that it hindered the fish's ability to swim and killed the fish. The most recommended way of treating it is to do water changes and treat for bacterial and fungal infections so that a secondary infection does not start from the skin lesions.

I already have the ick treatment in the tank, so I will finish that and if it does not work I will do the bacterial treatment along with some more water changes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Donnerjay
Replies
Views
babyshark24
  • sellidionne
  • Molly