Male mollies are fighting

Kadin

I got mollies a couple months ago and the 4 Dalmatian mollies had fry and they’re all fine but my 3 black mollies all happened to be males And they all chase each other around and nip at each other. Is it because there are no black females? I thought I head that they all interbreed but the black males don’t seem to care about any of the Dalmatian females. Would they Eventually breed with the Dalmatians or should I just get black females?

mimo91088

They'll breed with different colors. But male mollies are pretty feisty as far as livebearers go. It's not uncommon for them to scuffle. Just keep an eye out for injuries and signs of stress, but it sounds like normal molly behavior.

Upvote 0

SavTheArtist

I got mollies a couple months ago and the 4 Dalmatian mollies had fry and they’re all fine but my 3 black mollies all happened to be males And they all chase each other around and nip at each other. Is it because there are no black females? I thought I head that they all interbreed but the black males don’t seem to care about any of the Dalmatian females. Would they Eventually breed with the Dalmatians or should I just get black females?
How many females do you have?
The recommended ratio is 3-4 females per 1 male, so if you have 3 males-
that'd be 9 females minimum

Also what size is the tank? If the tank is too small then it may be a territory problem.

Not enough space+not enough girls = male fighting

Upvote 0

Kadin

They'll breed with different colors. But male mollies are pretty feisty as far as livebearers go. It's not uncommon for them to scuffle. Just keep an eye out for injuries and signs of stress, but it sounds like normal molly behavior.

i think there are
How many females do you have?
The recommended ratio is 3-4 females per 1 male, so if you have 3 males-
that'd be 9 females minimum

Also what size is the tank? If the tank is too small then it may be a territory problem.

Not enough space+not enough girls = male fighting

i think theres only 2 girl Dalmatians in the Tank and 5 males so I need quite a bit more girls. I have a friend who’s fish are having too many babies so I’ll probably get some black females from him. And buy some more at the pet store. They’re in a 75 gallon

Upvote 0

SavTheArtist

i think there are

i think theres only 2 girl Dalmatians in the Tank and 5 males so I need quite a bit more girls. I have a friend who’s fish are having too many babies so I’ll probably get some black females from him. And buy some more at the pet store. They’re in a 75 gallon
Great! Sounds like you have a plan.

At your current amount of males, you'll need around 14 more females. Maybe 15 just to be safe, in that size tank you definitely have room!

Just be prepared for quite a lot of fry

Upvote 0

Kadin

Great! Sounds like you have a plan.

At your current amount of males, you'll need around 14 more females. Maybe 15 just to be safe, in that size tank you definitely have room!

Just be prepared for quite a lot of fry

Okay sounds good. Yeah all of the fry growing up should be fun to watch!

Upvote 0

FishBoy101

Okay sounds good. Yeah all of the fry growing up should be fun to watch!
Heads up, the mollies will take a long time to grow up compared to guppies!

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

You sound like you know what youre talkin about. I just introduced a new female and male.molly into my 65 gallon tank. Bringing my total to 4 females and 2 males. (There are guppies as well so my boy likes to chase those girls too) My new male is larger than my current male. So my current male now nips at my newbies gonopodium and then attempts to mate with him. Normal behavior? Is he just showing the FNG who is boss of the tank?

Upvote 0

mimo91088

You sound like you know what youre talkin about. I just introduced a new female and male.molly into my 65 gallon tank. Bringing my total to 4 females and 2 males. (There are guppies as well so my boy likes to chase those girls too) My new male is larger than my current male. So my current male now nips at my newbies gonopodium and then attempts to mate with him. Normal behavior? Is he just showing the FNG who is boss of the tank?
This is normal too. If a female sees a male mate with another fish, it boosts their appeal as a viable mate. The smaller male is looking to land himself a lady by showing breeding behavior, even though the lady fish might prefer the bigger flashier male. Here's a pretty interesting short article that explains it better than I can:
Male Fish Uses Bisexuality to Lure Females

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• CatLover2000
  • Molly
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • Unknown9182
  • Molly
Replies