Male krib is losing all of his color & very listless Help 

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Today was tank cleaning day. Mr krib always gets stressed during tank cleanings. Today, it didn't help that there is 1 fry left in the tank, and he's been responsible for it. When I cleaned, he freaked out (as usual) and forgot his parental responsibilities, much to the dismay of mrs krib. After the tank was done, she was beating him senseless, chasing him, ramming into him (it seemed), and since then he's been hiding in the plants at the top of the tank. He's really really pale, almost no color except for finnage. And he's really listless. He's not swimming around. Is it just stress?

I'm really worried for him.

I tried finding stuff on-line but didn't really find an answer for the pale color and listlessness.

And I can't believe I'm having two fish emergencies today, two days before we leave for vacation.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. It's usually right before vacation. I had an ICH outbreak before I had to leave for a 3 week vacation.

I'm still no expert but I find that after fish have been stressed by being shipped or brought home in a dark bag, they generally hide and only develop the color that they show at the store after a day or two.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not unusual for him to be less brightly colored than the female. But typically he at least has a dark horizontal stripe going the length of his body and very dark bars going up his face. Now, he's just pale gray.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's probably jsut stressed. Mine do that too. It can be very scary.
Carol

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just peeked into the tank, no lights as it's just after 4 AM, and he's swimming around the top level of the tank, with at least a little energy as compared to yesterday. He appears to have a little more color this morning. I'll know more at 6 AM when the lights come on.

I lost a lot of sleep last night worrying about that little guy..... :-\

vict0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
awww Poor Lynda lol i don't know much about them but hes probably just scared poopless lol, but yeah keep us updated best wishes!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lights are on.... and somebody's home.

Once the lights were on, he faded a bit again. Seemed more stressed. Ate well, though. While he was eating, he colored up. After, faded out. I think he's going to be okay. You know how fish are, every time there's a new experience with them, it stresses both fish and human, but it's a learning experience nonetheless.

We leave for vacation for 10 days tomorrow morning and the lights will be out for the duration. They'll have daylight in the room, though. And the pet sitter will be feeding them every other day. They'll have a very quiet environment for that timespan. That should make things right for when I get home.

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i would suggest to move him to another tank for a few days and don't worry when you put him back in to his orriginal tank they will still be a pair

P.S. how come your lossing the fry

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We're leaving for vacation today, so I can't switch things around. He's returning to his usual behavior and color, slowly. I feel pretty secure that he'll be okay in a low light situation for 10 days.

They're eating all the fry because this was their second spawn. It's normal.

Or maybe the fry were little demon spawn......

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Demon spawn wow, i thought my kribs were being eatin but mom aparently found a hiding spot for them somewhere and carried like 5 at a time in her mouth. I found them the next day.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Keep us posted on how he's doing after your trip. Have fun!

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You back yet Lynda? How's the Krib?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We're back from vacation. Mr krib looks fine again. Eating well, chasing the mrs around the tank. Looks like we did lose the last fry but maybe next time they'll get it right.

Thanks for asking about my mr.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glad he's back to normal

My male rosy tetra is now very pale and listless also. I'm hoping he returns to normal soon.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My male turns grey after a spawning then takes a day or two to color back up.

One set of my kribs just spawned about 2 weeks ago and I noticed that about a week ago the they stopped rearing their spawn and the male turned grey. I lost all but two from that one but today I looked into the tank and there was a new spawn of about 30-40 free swimmers.

They can spawn fast so keep that in mind when youe male changes colors.

Harry

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good info, Harry. Thanks!

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey lynda my kribs just had their first spawn and I was wondering will they for sure eat all of the fry cause that sucks. And after the first spawn will they spawn more often now?

Thanks

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm certainly no krib expert. This is my first pair and also only my second spawning. However, what I've learned from the more learned folks here is that kribs are spawning machines. As long as you have a healthy pair, they should continue to spawn for you. And, from what I understand, it's quite natural for them to consume their first few spawns. However, there is no guarantee that this will happen with yours. You'll just have to wait and see.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads