Question Male Krib Cichlid Pale In Color?

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve had this pair of Kribs in my tank for a few months now, and my female is getting her little spot ready to lay eggs in. They are both very happy, and the female has beautiful coloration. However, ever since I’ve bought my male, he hasn’t but really shown any of the same yellow coloring you see on a female. His face has a little yellow, but other than that, his fins are the only vibrant thing about him. His stripe is very dark, however. I’m just really curious about why this is, he doesn’t have any kind of disease and is super active. Is there any explanation for this? Hi sorry belly gets pink when he’s really happy, but no other colors on his body. Thanks for any input! Some pics of the male:
D065BBBB-77AB-41ED-8052-2D3089474A01.jpeg
2F306DA2-046D-4353-A962-C25F507E63A6.jpeg

And the female:
3AD7638F-44FA-4289-BD8E-0E88FD45C51D.jpeg

(She is a little pale too today but she’s been working so hard that I’m not worried )

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First picture looks like a female .
Males don't get red bellies.
I am thinking you have 2 females ..

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have to agree with coralbandit. Both are females.
Okay, thank you for the input, but I’m very positive that I have a male and female. The males belly is sometimes a tinge pink, but he isn’t at least an inch larger than she is, and definitely does not have the same round belly that she has. Hers gets super magenta, sometimes even purple, while his turns barely pink.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male Kribs do get pink bellies if it's a good bloodline; the thing to look at for sex is the ventral fins. The first photo indicates that the fish has long, pointed ventrals, which makes it male.

The female has obviously rounded ventrals.

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Male Kribs do get pink bellies if it's a good bloodline; the thing to look at for sex is the ventral fins. The first photo indicates that the fish has long, pointed ventrals, which makes it male.

The female has obviously rounded ventrals.
Will my male color up a bit more? It doesn’t really matter to me but I want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong to make his colors not show up.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both male and female look fine to my eyes.

These farm produced fish are not a patch on the presumably wild fish that I started with in the seventies.

They lack the vivid colours and stunning metallic spotting on the fins but yours are still lovely fish.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I believe two females also, can you get a better pict. of the first one?

BobRocio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve bred Kribs many times before, you defiantly have a male and a female. Females will not get the long golden trailer on the dorsal fun as seen in the second image you posted. This is normally computation. They are still young so their colours will improve as they mature but generally male colouration will depend on the line breeding and it just looks as if you have a not very colourful male unfortunately. Both fish look in good health.

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve bred Kribs many times before, you defiantly have a male and a female. Females will not get the long golden trailer on the dorsal fun as seen in the second image you posted. This is normally computation. They are still young so their colours will improve as they mature but generally male colouration will depend on the line breeding and it just looks as if you have a not very colourful male unfortunately. Both fish look in good health.
Thank you. My pair now have some cichlid babies, and while I was gone on vacation my male colored up a ton, more than I’ve ever seen him have. Crazy!

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When they’re not in breeding colours they will be relatively pale anyway because of the light substrate...

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When they’re not in breeding colours they will be relatively pale anyway because of the light substrate...
My female actually has been very bright in color, ever since I got her from the lfs. The male has been pale.

Top Bottom