Male killed both females

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I bought a healthy GBR from my favorite local fish store exactly 18 days ago. I’m pretty sure from all indications that it was a female. She got along well with the rest of the tank and I fell in love with her personality so I wanted to add another one to my community tank. Over the weekend another local fish store got a shipment of great looking GBRs and had all fish on sale so I ended up buying two on Saturday. I got a male and another female. I thought one male with two females would be a safe bet for aggression and possible pairing. Everyone did well Sat night and all day yesterday until lights out. I woke up today and could only see the male swimming around exploring the tank. I looked for the females only to find both of them dead under one of my log caves. Has anyone had an issue with one GBR killing the others? There are plenty of hiding places in my tank so everyone had areas to claim as their own. My water parameters as of Fri were 0- Ammonia 0- Nitrite and 30 Nitrate so they def were not sick from the water. I have live plants as well as fake. Does this guy need to just stay alone now or is there another compatible single fish that would get along with him and the rest of the tank?

Best Answer - View Kobiashi3's answer

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
this is very common when adding a male to a new tank the male just happend to be a nasty male u could try again but the same will happen again thats the way it goes with that type of fish its better to buy a proven pair from the start

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any suggestions on anything to add that would get along with him or should I just let him be the centerpiece and add to one of the schools?

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would use him as the main fish in the tank or u could get rid of him and try a younger male if u can find one that way he can grow up with the other fish and u could add a female at the same time but its best to get young fish as the adapt better than adults do if i was in the same situation your in thats what i would be doing as adult fish can be fickal in other words tricky to work with

Cale24

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you are certain you have a male left, I'd consider adding a single female, although they do just fine alone. Line of sight breaks (assuming this is a 29gal tank?) will help as well, so it's surprising to hear of two dead females so soon. May not necessarily have been killed, unless they were visibly beat up? Weak or stressed rams can die pretty easily, it has to be said. Also, 30 is about the maximum you want nitrates reaching - aim for 15-20 as an average if you have a planted tank, given they're a sensitive fish. And warm water (80F+).
Good luck and hope things calm down!

New Threads