Male Jack

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by auntsis, Dec 20, 2012.

1. a

auntsis New Member Member

My Male Jack Dempsey is losing his scales. Is he trying to mate with the female or what? He is about 3" long and the female is about 4" long. They are in with 4 firemouths And seem to get along fine. Never so any signs of fighting, if they do chase it's usually the firemouths that chase each other. Have had all since they were small fry. My tank is 75 gal. I also have a 15" placoustimous in there, and was wondering if I need to continue to feed every day, and if so shoud I increase food.snow.

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know what your water parameters are? Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate? Does he have clear poop?

3. OP
    OP
    a

NO I don't but they all seem happy and nothing is wrong with the female or any of the firemouth.

4. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

It would be extremely beneficial to us if you filled out your profile information, especially the question about the nitrogen cycle. Are you aware of what that is? If not we can help guide you to make sure your fish are safe.

5. OP
    OP
    a

No I do not know what the nitrogen cycle is. Sorry.

6. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

The nitrogen cycle is essential for your filter to build the proper bacteria to keep your fish safe from their own waste.

Please click the link above and read up on the nitrogen cycle, and test your water parameters using a liquid test kit. You should find 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20-80 Nitrates. If you don't, then I would advise doing a large water change (at least 50%). Following the water change, dechlorinate the water with a cap and a half of prime (as per the size of your tank).

7. OP
    OP
    a

Thank you very much mmolitor87 for your helpfulness, I truly appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice