Male is agressive

PhilippT

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to breed my bettas (I had bettas for 3 years, I'm not new to the topic I have 5 betta males and 4 females currently), I prepared everything carefully. The male made the bubble nest then I released the female. He started to attack her, after two-three hours her fins were damaged and she didnt move anymore without laying any eggs. I put her in her tank because I was concerned about her health. She had the white point on her belly and everything I don't know what's wrong, can anyone help me?

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve never bred Bettas, but I heard that sometimes the female and male aren't compatible and just won't work as a breeding pair.
I hope someone else with more experience will chime in.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That sounds normal. The male chases and often injures the female for a few hours. She will hide and side in the hiding spot for a long while until the male finds her again. This can take several hours or even a day before they start spawning.

Post some pictures of the female, if she doesn’t look too bad then I’d say place her in his tank in a jar and release her when she is actively trying to get to the male.

OP
PhilippT

PhilippT

Reaction score
Some scales are missing and the rear fin is completely destroyed..
IMG_20200329_204453__01.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She looks pretty shredded, I think it’s best to wait a couple weeks then try again after reconditioning. Her belly isn't quite as plump as I would expect it to be either. When females are really in the mood their belly get more plump towards the vent and the egg tube protrudes more than usual.

An example of the protruding egg tube.
C1B5EB5D-77B0-4DF5-A216-35C731D0F2BC.jpeg

Next time when introducing her to the breeding tank try using a tank divider and wait till she’s trying to get to the male’s side. That’s how I always do my introductions and they seem to do better this way.

If that doesn’t work then try a different female, she may just not be compatible and/or too old.

New Threads