Male hounding pregnant female

mobaby1231

I have a 30 gallon with lots of hiding places, lots of fake plants, some little decorations, about seven good sized rocks, five juvenile guppies and an adult guppy. I added three hI fin platys, one male and two female, one female was pregnant. They all did well while being QTed and were deemed good to go in the 30 gallon tank. After about half a day the male started fallowing around the pregnant female. He doesn't leave her alone, if he loses track of her or after feeding time he will search the tank like crazy looking for her. A couple days ago I brought home another platy girl, and her doesn't even notice her. He only fallows right next to the pregnant one. There are lots of hiding places but the tank really isn't that big so he can search the whole thing quickly.

So because I didnt want her stressing constantly like that, I took the cherry shrimp (one just had babies ! saved 3 of them! ) out of my 6.5 gallon tank, and put her in it. I believe she has about a week or more before she drops? I'm not exactly sure, I'm used to looking for the gravid spot and squareness on guppies, and with them I'm not always right.

When shes in the main tank all he does is fallow HER, is this because she is pregnant ?? just a preference ?
Are only some platy females aggressive toward the males ? Would she chase him away if she was getting too stressed? or coulc she just be more timid?
I have already gotten 2 other females for him to chase, what else can I do?
Should I judt try to take her back for a different one?? without her in there, he mostly does his own thing !

Coradee

The males will hound a female near to giving birth so he can be the first to mate with her once she drops her fry, with an added bonus that he gets a free meal too as he'll most likely eat newborn fry.

mjryan

Most male fish are relentless. I think you did the right thing by moving her. I'm sure eventually he will notice the other females. I often have to remove my female mbuna into a separate tank. Male mbuna are even worse than livebearers it seems. My male red zebra chases his females so bad he hits his head on the tank glass all the time trying to get at them. No doubt if the tank didn't have a lid the little pervert would jump to his doom. Lol. The females hide behind filter intakes and the spray bar. As far as taking her back, I'm sure your fish will just pick a new female to hound. I have noticed my male guppies seem to prefer the very pregnant females also, it makes sense what Coradee said. I have witnessed it myself, just never realized it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
missdeevi
Replies
Views
Noah F.
Replies
Views