Male Guppy WON'T stop nipping at male platy Help

1. angelxdust Initiate Member

Hey Everyone, I just introduced my new fish into my new aquarium last night.
    I purchased a male and female platy
    and 4 male guppies...

The guy at the store said they'd get along fine, and for the most part they seem to be doing alright, except for the fact that my one male guppy is continually nipping at the male platy..i'm worried about him.
    I have no female guppies in the tank...I figured I should have gotten females but now I have to wait until my tank is cycled to add anymore fish...
    I am going back in a few hours to grab some plants and a few more decorations, not sure if it will help much but i figure its worth a try.
    Any input would be nice!
    I thought guppies were pretty docile?
    This one is especially aggressive compared to the others, and i definately think he wants to mate..

2. Llama Well Known Member Member

Well, 4 male guppies and no females is a very bad idea. I'd take 3 of them back and get women instead (1 male : 3 females is the best ratio).

I had a problem just like yours. The male guppy used to chase around one of my male platies too. The problem resolved itself on its own - I think its just the beginning balance of power fight they have in the aquarium for alphamale status or something.

Now they're allright with each other

I would add more hiding places if you think that'll help (decorations/plants), but to be honest I'd reduce the amount of males. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

How bad is it? is it just chasing or are they ripping fins off each other?

3. angelxdust Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply!
    I added a bunch of fake plants and a decoration piece.
    Since then the nipping has stopped!
    i'm glad :)
    the males for the most part seem to be getting along well with one another, except the same male guppy (totally refer to him as the bully) gets extremely aggressive after feeding and nips/chases at the other males.
    NEEEDDD FEMALES ASAP haha..

and he was nipping pretty badly at the platy, a few times i was watching and it just pained me to see. The platy is orange as well and i heard orange anger/attracted guppies so i guess that didn't really help aha

Besides that, things seem to be going quite smoothly :)

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I would probably be inclined to suggest that you add more female guppies and platties, all men need to be kept in check ;). with livebearers the general rule I believe is 1m to 2-3f so I would look at 8 guppy females if you dont take any males back, you should also see the aggression die down from the bully one.

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

Just a Warning, if you decide to get females, be prepared to deal with a bijillion fry. If you add 8 females than you will see a new batch of fry every 28 days from each one. You may want to consider taking back the aggressive male. I have tried all male guppies and it did not work out. I had one male that harrassed another one to death, literally. I now have a 72 gallon tank because the fry quickly overtook my 35 gallon. I love my babies but it does not end. Either way you decide, Good Luck