Male Guppy with drooping tail and either fin rot or tail nipping . Please help

Clarissa98
HI everyone, so I need help with one of my male guppies. I've had him for 4 days now and his behavior was fine until this morning I woke up and he was resting on the floor (normally not upside down or side ways) so initially I just thought ok he's resting then I went to feed the tank he wouldn't come up to the surface like he did before instead he'd just nibble at the algae wafer I put on the bottom of the tank for the snails. I noticed that his tail end is dropping a bit and makes no effort on swimming around the tank he either is way at the surface in the corner or down at the substrate. Yes I did get him and the other male guppy (who is a tad bit bigger but not by much) from a petco that I've had no problems with their other fish and plants. I'm not too familiar with guppies so these two are my first. I had the idea of some dominance being established so I transferred him in a separate tank and tried feeding him there but no appetite. If anyone has any ideas on what's going on with my little buddy please help I've attached pictures.

Water param
Ammonia-0
Ph- 7.6
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 5 ppm

Tank Stock
2 Zebra Nerites
1 Juvenile Mystery Snail
2 Male Guppies
Java Moss
Anubias
Some type of sword plant

Also the tank is a 10 gallon

Aster
How was he acclimated?

Your tank isn't cycled, and that amount of nitrites is very toxic. Do a 50% change immediately. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Have you added any bacterial supplements?

Clarissa98
Wait I'm sorry I got it switched

The nitrate is 5ppm and Nitrite is 0. The tank has been cycled for about a month with the zebra snails, plants, and substrate is nutrient rich

Aster
So what are the parameters again?

EDIT: Okay, never mind

How was he acclimated? From the photos it looms like he's clamping his fins, a sign of stress.

Clarissa98
All fish and snails were drip acclimated for 20 minutes

Ammonia 0
Ph 7.6
Nitrate 5 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

Do you think he's stressed because the other guppy would chase him sometimes? If that's the case ,hopefully , should I get more plants/decor for him to hide in

Aster
Twenty minutes is a bit fast. He may be going through shock. Did he show any other symptoms like having difficulty swimming?

It's not fin nipping or fin rot, he's just clamping.

Clarissa98
No there's no trouble swimming even with the minimal current from the air stone . Anything I can do to coax him back to his normal self ? But I'm still concerned about his tail being low or is that associated with clamping ? Also how long should I keep him in the separate tank or he's ok to go back in the larger one

Aster
I would wait until you see an improvement to put him back into the larger one. He could be sick, and you don't want to expose him to the other guppy again. How large is the small tank? Just do 50% daily or every other day water changes on the small tank to see if he'll perk up with clean water.

Clarissa98
Small tank is 5 gallons, the plastic one in the picture is just for the picture purpose

Aster
That should be fine, just stick with water changes.

Clarissa98
Ok thanks a bunch aster I'll update you guys

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
alexk77
Replies
Views
elliexmay
Replies
Views