Male guppy strange behavior/ bloated

PandaLover

Hello, I am new to this site and very happy to hear what the experts have to say! I have this beautiful yellow male guppy, who is usually swimming around frantically trying to mate with the females. However, I noticed yesterday that he started hovering at the top of the tank, is rather bloated, but is swimming fine when he wants to. I'm not sure if he is just tired or if he has a problem, due to his belly being a little bloated. I though it was possibly a female due to his size. Here are a few pictures. The tank is a little crowded due to the larger guppy tank going through its cycle. He is in a 20 gallon tank, with many other guppies, ammonia is at zero, nitrites at .25 and nitrates at 5.0

Attachments

• 20210912_075150.jpg
    20210912_075150.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210912_075156.jpg
    20210912_075156.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8

SouthAmericanCichlids

You shouldn't have any nitrite, so that could contribute, though it is quite low. He's a male for sure, he has a gonopodium instead of a caudal fin, and females (Usually, unless they're super high end) don't have that kind of color. His scales seem to be pinceoning, my guess would be dropsy as you'll get both bloatage and pineconing if you have it. I believe it is something with the kidney and things that help are peas, aquarium salt always helps, and there are probably medications for it. But from people who have had it, they say most of the time, they can't recover.

Though, I am not the best with disease id, so I wouldn't take any steps before someone else affirms this. I hope he recovers.

PandaLover

Thank you for you quick response! And I totally agree. From the research I've done it looks like dropsy, I am just going to do my best to make him comfortable by feeding the peas, like you said, and adding aquarium salt with my little 2 gallon water changes I do gaily for the guppy fry I have in this tank as well. Thank you for your help :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Sweetacious
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Sweetacious
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • cowboykidd
  • Guppy