Male guppy: Split dorsal fin Question 

99CS85

Reaction score
Hi, I have 10 male guppies in a 65 gallon tank with a few other fish. I love how long the male guppies dorsal fins get, they flow like a flag or streamer. I have notice, obviously the older the fish the more mature and longer the fin is. However, I just noticed the one with the longest dorsal fin (it flows almost to the end of his pelvic fin) is split into two “streamers”. Is this common for male guppies? Is he meant to have it in two “streamers” or is this from the males picking on each other since there are no females in this tank? I have noticed some of the pelvic fins of my guppies have some nips out of them but nothing severe (it could be from my angelfish, the submissive one recently had been caught chasing a few guppies away. But normally cohabitate perfectly fine).
IMG_7303.JPG
IMG_7304.JPG
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7307.JPG

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When i started i got 2 yellow females and 1 black male and as time went on i lost a female but that was after getting literally 100's of fry but at the end of my black males life i seen that his dorsal fin was ready to fall off everytime he swam around like u said it looked like it was hanging on by a thread. emeraldking he could give better insight on livebearers seeing i didn't give any advice at all and only my experience with my guppies sorry.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, there are guppies that have a mutation when it comes to the shape of the dorsal. In the beginning it looks like if the fin seems normal shaped and then it starts to split. But the further development stays normal. Nothing to worry about.
But yes, he could also been attacked. Doesn't mean that the fin has to look really damaged. If the fin splits because of an attack, it can still develop further in a normal way without a real shredded look.
But hard to tell what the exact reason might be if we can't see how he looked like before.

But it doesn't look like a desease to me. For you've posted this in this section.

99CS85

Reaction score
Thanks for that information! My bad, I didn’t even realize I accidentally put it in the diseased section.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom