Male Guppy Nudging Female Platy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LOULOU, Apr 2, 2006.

1. LOULOUValued MemberMember

I HAVE 2 MALE GUPPIES IN MY TANK AND I HAVE JUST INTRODUCED 2 PLATIES 1 MALE 1 FEMALE. THE 2 MALE GUPPIES KEEP NUDGING AT THE FEMALE PLATY. WHY!! :(

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Even though they are a different species, they probably want to mate with your female. :eek:

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ya you probably need more females so they don't harrass them, or you can move the males into jail and get another tank for them and that becomes your jail for sexual harrasment. Good excuse to get another tank.

Austin

4. LOULOUValued MemberMember

thanks for the help guys. its still going on. theyre all after her now lucky girl ;)

5. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

No that's not a lucky girls as they might stress her out so much that she may die.

6. LOULOUValued MemberMember

just a joke. dont no what else to do. im a novice. will it settle down. the male platty is protecting her but he is fighting with the guppys, before we put the platties in today the 2 male guppys were fighting. atleast my 2 catfish mind there own business! ???

7. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I don't think it will settle down. You need to have the right number of males and females (of the appropriate kind) in your tank in order to have a balance. I have also read that otherwise the female will be stressed out so much she may eventually get sick or even die.

8. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

How big is your tank? ways to stop it that I know of
    1. get a divider and divide the tank
    2. give the female back
    3. give the males back
    4. get another tank
    5. if you have room get 1 or 2 more female plays and 4-6 more female guppies.

Austin

9. LOULOUValued MemberMember

ok. thanks for the advice. maybe i,ll get rid off the female platty. the rest are males. very small tank. 3-4 gallons. also another question. do i have to turn the tank light off at night???? ???

10. LOULOUValued MemberMember

anyone there? im in the uk and for me its bed time. is it bed time for the fish? lights off or is it ok to leave them on? ;)

11. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

sorry it's dinner time here in the us but yes they need bed time too they need hours of dark and hours of light just like us. And if the tank is only 3-4 gallons you have WAY TOO MANY fish in there. Try taking the measurements of the tank.

Austin

12. vinWell Known MemberMember

Careful leaving all males together without females - Male livebearers like to compete with one another and may bicker a little too much causing some stress. You may wish to reconsider your mix.

13. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes the tank is over stocked.  In fact, 3-4 gallons is really too small for Guppies and Platys.  They need at least a 10 gallon tank.  Livebearers need to be kept in a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females to prevent the females from being chased so much they are stressed out.  Giving back the female is a good idea, but like vin said then the males may fight.  I would take back one of the male Guppies too. Please set up a bigger (10 gal) tank and cycle it fishless, and then move the fish there. Then, you can buy 2 female Platys and 2 female Guppies to go along with the 2 males.
    :)

14. LOULOUValued MemberMember

when i went to my local pet shop they told me that i could have upto 6 fish in my tank. so i have 2 guppies around an inch long. 2 platties around an inch long, a speckled catfish inch long and an albino catfish inch long. the tank is 25 litres?? not sure what that is in gallons.its very hard when the pet shop tells you one thing and you guys say another? would my fish be different to your fish in the u.s.??? the fish shop sold me the tank and the fish. as i am new to this i sort of believed them, now im not so sure. emma-louise ;)

15. LOULOUValued MemberMember

i forgot to say they are cold water tropical fish. it must be to early where you are. no-one is online. hehe its 12.20 pm in the uk. emma.x

16. vinWell Known MemberMember

The thing the pet store didn't tell you is that you must take into account the size they can reach as adults....So if your tank is 25 L, that converts to 5.5 imperial gallons or 6.6 US gallons.....At one inch/gallon which is the general rule of thumb when stocking aquariums, you can basically have any combination of SMALL fish that will reach a total length of 5.5" in their adult stage or in your case, 14cm.

The problem you will eventually run into is that your guppies, platys and both catfish can grow to be up to or more than 2" each.......

The fish will not be any different where you are than in the US. It's really based on oxygen usage, room to swim, etc. Fish extract oxygen from water through their gills, as we know and expell ammonia as a by product - similar to how humans expell carbon dioxide. Ammonia can also build up from uneaten foods and fish waste that decay on the bottom of the tank over time if not properly maintained. The beneficial bacteria that forms in our filters, gravel, etc., help to break down the ammonia and other toxic chemicals such as nitrites and nitrates, but they can only do so much before they become overwhelmed. The fish must be able to extract enough oxygen without the water becoming overloaded with the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. This is the main reason we test our water regularly and perform weekly water changes. Not only to clean the waste, but to reduce the chances of toxic build up, keep our nitrates in check and add clean, oxygenated water back into the aquarium.

By putting too many fish or a fish that will grow to be too large in the tank, the oxygen is used up quicker resulting in a rapid build up of ammonia and toxins that will stress the fish and possibly kill them. The larger the fish or the more fish, the more water they need not only for oxygen, but to swim without confinement.

I hope I've helped a little.

17. NeenNew MemberMember

I had the same problem with getting correct information. A lot of those people working in the pet shops are doing it for a pay check & may or may not know a thing about keeping fish (not all of them-but the ones here are like that). Really check out their tanks & see if they have dead fish floating around or not. I don't even ask the people at the stores any more after finding this site. I would rather get information from people who love their fish & have had years of experience doing it. ;) No one here is trying to make a profit like the fish stores. We just all love fish! ;D I know at my fish store they keep the bettas in a cup & they are all sick. If they knew what they were doing, they wouldn't do that. It's cruel. Good luck with your fishkeeping LouLou. Gina

18. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I'm glad to hear (from vin) that your tank is over 6 gal US, but it is still overstocked. I would highly recommend getting at least a 10 gallon, or even better a 20. The problem is that in a small tank it is so much harder to maintain good water quality due to the small volume of water. It is recommended for beginning fishkeepers that they start out with a larger tank so if they make a mistake it will not affect the fish as rapidly. And I'll second what Neen said, most fish store employees don't know a thing about fish. You're much safer asking here, where expert fishkeepers (no that's not me, but I hope to be there someday ;)) can share their experience. :)

19. LOULOUValued MemberMember

i have taken the advice from you guys and given my 2 male guppies to a friend. me and my husband are looking to buy a bigger tank now. he wouldve had a huge tank right from the start, but being a women i didnt agree ;D ;D ;D another question? why does my speckled catfish swim around like a maniac, and the albino just lays on the bottom and doesnt seem to move or do anything. emma.xx ???

20. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

What kind of catfish are they? That's good you got rid of the male Guppies. (well, not good that you had to, you know what I mean) That leaves you with a male & female Platy and 2 catfish, right? And that's good that you are looking for a new tank. I don't know how you cycled your current tank, but please cycle the new one fishless. Once the bigger one is ready for more fish, you can use the small one as a quarintine tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice