Male Guppy Not Moving Very Much, I'm Very Worried

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Miranda Dawson, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Miranda DawsonNew MemberMember

Hello everyone.
    This is my first ever fish tank, and I'm loving it so far! I have 4 male guppies, and 3 of them are doing great! However there is one particular one who I'm very worried for.
    He seems to go in cycles of being normal and then he'll go to his spot in the tank and stay there until it's feeding time, where he'll be normal and swimming around happily, and then back again. So I'm not sure what to think. He seemed to be kind of constipated a couple days ago ( his poop was very thick) so I've started only feeding them once a day and this has seemed to help a lot. He's still doing this sitting at the bottom of the tank thing though.
    Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance! 30776708_10209570185131629_355838930_n.jpg

2. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I wish I could say hang in there, he will be fine but sadly that isn't the case most of the time. It doesn't seem like the fish we are offered are as healthy as we would like for them to be. I just don't want to get your hopes up too high.

It has been my experience when they start this shortly after we get them they usually don't make it. We can try to guess as to what is wrong and some start medicating for what they guess the problem is but seldom does it do any good.

We get them. We quickly get attached to them and after a couple of weeks they start this. We have flashes of hope when it seems they are getting better and we think whatever it was has passed and then we wake up one morning and they are gone. I went through this a couple of months ago with a beautiful little Dalmatian Molly :(

Please try to prepare yourself for losing him and hopefully you can jump for joy if he does in fact get and stay healthy.

Hopefully someone else will have some more cheerful words for you and can tell us if there is in fact something that can be done for him.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Interesting. I had one of mine doing that last night which is NOT normal for guppies. I have some medication in my tank right now and think it may be that. Try feeding them some blanched, peeled peas and see what happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice