Male Guppy lost interest in female after mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had been given this male guppy free from a friend of mine. And after a 2 week quarantine. I did not see any signs of sickeness or diseases. I introduced him into my tank(where there is 1 female guppy) and he fit in just well. But the moment i introduced him. He started chasing the female and mating. I could tell because he would not leave her side for days. He would chase her, go under her and you can see his gonopodium suddenly sticking out. It all took place in probably just a second. So its been about a week+ almost 2. And i noticed that my female guppy went from being *not pregnant for a month+) to pregnant. Her tummy is getting bigger and her gravid spot is darkening. But now that i notice she's pretty likely pregnant. The male guppy doesn't chase her around anymore trying to mate. He just goes about doing his own business, swimming normally, eating normally :O

Is this normal? or is he sick? or is he dying ?

Everythingzen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The need to impregnate her is lessened now, for obvious reasons get him another female or two though, because the focussed attention on her only might get a bit much for her after a while and she will get stressed and sick.

ILikeFishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'd love to But according to other users, they said my tank is over stocked =/. Don't know if getting 1 more female guppy would change anything though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 28 66.7%

Top Bottom