Male Guppy Is Very Bloated

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by stella1979, Apr 23, 2017.

1. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I've had this guppy for a week. When we first got him home I would have sworn we had a colorful female because the belly was big. Looked up sexing livebearers and made sure he is a he.

I've been keeping an eye on him and thought his belly looked smaller a couple of days ago. Today, he's been reclusive and did not eat. His belly looks huge again.

Al913 can I please call on your guppy knowledge once again? I have a problem in that my QT tank is currently occupied. The only thing I can think to do is put this guy is a bucket and change water daily. I don't have an extra heater right now either. I know that would be stressful for him but I'm getting worried that he has something and the others could catch it. I have a few meds on hand too but don't know what's going on or what to do.
    20170423_210557.jpg20170423_210559.jpg20170423_210610.jpg

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Mine looks like that for a day or two if he's really pigged out on food. Fast the tank for a couple of days and see if it goes down any :)

3. fjhWell Known MemberMember

I don't think it is anything contagious - he is either constipated or just fat. Try feeding him a pea, and if that doesn't help then he's fat (which is bad for fish) so don't feed as much.

4. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Thanks :) I hope that's all that is going on. I'm probably overreacting because I have another fish that is sick. I'll definitely fast the tank for a couple of days. I do try not to overfeed but I probably do because I'm always worried about my new cardinals getting enough. Anyway, I'm sure they'll all be fine so I'll fast and then feed peas.

I'll keep an eye on him. This is my first time with guppies and this guy is just so much fatter than the rest. He came that way :rolleyes: I guess I should be looking for signs of pineconing or fin rot to determine if it's more serious?

5. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

yeah, watch to see if he starts pine coning, or if he has fin rot, but most of the time with guppies when the males look like this, it is just because they are pigs :)

6. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I just can't believe how fat he is! By comparison the others are positively skinny.

7. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

When I got mine a couple weeks ago they were really skinny and I fed them some frozen food (mysis shrimp and cyclops) plus some veggie wafers through the week...when i dropped the veggie wafers down i forgot to break them up and put them through the tank..they devoured them and got SO fat it was pretty bad. I had to fast them for a few days, but now they look like they should :)

8. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Yesterday our bloated guy was hanging out in the plants or at the bottom being kind of reclusive and mostly still. Today, he is at the surface, breathing hard and fast and hanging out behind the filter output, where there is very little flow. I'm still worried for him:( Any chance a bath with epsom salts would be helpful?

9. edgardcafeValued MemberMember

I had my guppy like that for a few weeks and unfortunately he died.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  10. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, you might want to try that, see if it helps any.

11. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I'm really sorry to hear your guppy didn't make it :( He was beautiful.

I hope my guy just bloated and that I can help him, but I don't know.

I did decide to try an epsom salt bath as I've been reading about that being helpful with bloating and constipation. I dissolved a bit less than 1 Tbsp. in one gallon of temp. matched water. In another bucket I put a little less than 1 tsp. epson into another gallon. First I put him in the higher concentration bath and watched him like a hawk for 15 minutes. Then, I put him in the other bucket with the lower concentration to re-acclimate for 15 minutes. He is now back in the main tank and is laying against the filter output pipe close to the surface.

I hope I did the right thing. I know the bath was stressful for him but he was looking worse this morning than he was yesterday. I hope the bath will help him and that this is indeed bloating and not dropsy or something. Whatever it is, I'm pretty certain he already had the issue when we got him.

What's strange is that the other guppies came from the same fish farm and they all look great. The fish are kept in separate cement 'ponds' which all had overflows so it appeared as though they were on a shared water/filtration system.

12. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Maybe see if you can put an air stone near him and see if it helps any...If you have a qt tank and he is still acting like this, maybe feed him some kanamycin flakes.

13. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Well, my little Tequila Sunrise didn't make it.:( He was so pretty and we'll miss him even though we only had him a little while.

We bought all 8 cardinals & 5 guppies at the same place. We had a newly cycled 20g and a 5g QT. We were planning on putting the tetras into the 20 and the guppies into the 5 so they could all QT separately. Turned out that the fish farm bagged them all together so when we got them home they all went into the 20g after acclimation. We kept an eye on parameters and found nothing wrong all week besides this guy's bloating. Now I'm worried for the other fish, although none of them are showing any symptoms. I have a few products on hand and I'm wondering if I should use any of them. Please let me know if it would be a good idea to dose the tank with any of the following...

Seachem Stress Guard (contains malachite green, I think it's like a weaker version of Paraguard.)
    SulfaPlex
    KanaPlex
    Nitrofurazone
    Garlic Guard (I guess I'll feed them some of this tonight, can't hurt. I'm no longer worried about fasting the tank with our little guy off to fishy heaven :(RIP Tequila:()

14. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

@CindiL, would you recommend adding any medication to this tank as a preventative for the other fish? They all look normal and are eating well, just concerned that the guppy that died may have passed on whatever he had that caused the bloating and eventual lethargy. This tank is currently being dosed with PraziPro as a preventative. We are on day 4 after the first dose and I am planning on dosing one more time tomorrow.

@Al913 & @APierce what do you think?

15. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Oh NO! I'm so sorry! The tank is being dosed with prazi pro right now, could it be that he had something that either the prazi couldn't treat or else made what he had worse? I'm really not sure. This is a question for Cindi or someone else with more knowledge than myself.

Do you see them pooing any white strands while being dosed with the prazi? Are any of them flicking themselves off stuff in the aquarium? Do you see any fin discoloration, tearing, any white cloudy spots, any tiny white spots (ich), or anything at all that might seem "off". Study the fish really closely, sometimes it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong until something catches your eye :)

16. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

This tank is still quite new so both the hubby and I 'fish watch' several times a day. I do not see any of the symptoms you mentioned @APierce so I don't necessarily think any others are sick. I'm only using prazi on them as a preventative measure that I have implemented recently for all new fish. I'm still just worried though, all 13 fish and 8 shrimp have come from the same farm where water and filtration are likely shared.

Then they all came home to the same tank. As soon as we got them here I said "OMG, that could be a pregnant female with that belly!" It was so noticeable that I then looked up sexing livebearers to be sure. The belly seemed to reduce slightly on days 4 & 5 with him, but then it got bigger again and was bigger than ever this morning. None of the other fish showed signs of bloating even though I recently accepted that I was perhaps feeding too much.

Implementing this plan as of today;) Thanks again for that @APierce

17. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Can a fish die of constipation? This guy never showed any other symptoms, other than being much fatter than his brothers. No pineconing or spots and lethargy just started yesterday.

18. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

If there is a blockage I'd imagine that they could. I don't think your "mention" is working, I'm going to try to mention @CindiL and see if it works. I'm thinking blockage and possibly worms/parasite in the poor guppy that couldn't be treated fully with prazi pro, but I could be totally wrong :)

When you mentioned me, it wasn't working :(

19. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I don't always get mentions, though I did get this one today when I was at work.

Sorry you lost your guy! I would guess either parasitic or internal infection of some sort since he bloated up and was kept with the others who had the same diet as him. I've had very fat guppies and platies too, they're really pigs. My betta girls are pigs too. I feed them only once a day but they go after the cory food also so get really fat.

I think its good you're treating with prazi pro but if anyone else starts showing symptoms I would probably feed them some kanaplex and garlic guard soaked and dried food also.

20. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Well, one of my other guppies is acting lethargic today. He does not show any signs of bloating. I'm worried for him though, he is usually the most active of all my guppies. In fact he's shown himself to be the dominant male.

This morning he didn't eat as actively as normal and afterward he started hanging out behind the filter output, just where the other guy was before he died. I'm thinking of just giving all the guppies kanaplex medicated food. Is this a good idea for all of them? Also, would it be best to feed these guys the meds in a bucket so I don't have to put it in the main tank? I don't think the tetras need medicating and I also have inverts in there.