Male Guppy - Infection Perhaps?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by aquaticat, Jan 5, 2013.

1. aquaticat

aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

My male guppy has been swimming rather oddly (hard to explain but he had an odd back and forth motion, as if it was difficult to swim even if he was far from the filter current...) for the past three days or so. I've been keeping a close eye on him, so when I went to check on him today I was quite shocked at what I found:

On his right side just above his ventral fins (where he'd had a slight bulge yesterday that I'd thought was from hogging the food like he normally does, and I guess that's what those fins are called LOL!) appears to have, no lie, a hole in his side. A hole. Perhaps it just appears to be a hole and is a spot, but when he swims directly towards or away from me it looks as if it is in fact a hole, like his skin rotted away or something... he does have a bulge where it is and has appeared slightly bloated for the past few days so I cut back a bit on food.

Any ideas what it could be? I thought maybe velvet at first because of its color, it is sort of brownish as far as I can tell. Some kind of infection? Fungus? Could it be velvet? I'll be getting my 10g ready this afternoon so I can move him out. Fingers crossed that the others don't get or already have what he has :-\

I may be able to get pictures but my camera doesn't take too good and he tends to dart when I try to snap one :(

2. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Trying to get the QT tank ready but anyone have any clue at all what might be wrong? Water parameters seem good besides a slight bump in ammonia (what I think to be a mini-cycle from my snail problem) and I just did a change on the 3rd.

3. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

Supposed "hole" has gotten bigger ??? Got the QT running and moved him in earlier.

It literally looks like his skin has been eaten away, leaving a big reddish-brown spot.

4. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

As I expected, the guppy died this afternoon. Crossing my fingers that the other fish don't ever end up with this problem -- whatever it was.

5. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

hole in the head disease? never heard of a guppy getting it, but i know its not just for oscars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice