Male guppy hole in side 1 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Kellyann9010, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Kellyann9010

Kellyann9010New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    My male tequila sunrise guppy has a hole in his side that has what looks like poop coming out of it. The last time I cleaned the tank, which was last Sunday, the "poop" fell off while he was swimming away from the net. When he was resettled in the tank, orange stuff started coming out. For a few days, nothing has been coming out, but today there is "poop" coming out again. What the heck is going on!?

My 1.5 gallon tank has 2 male guppies. I clean it regularly. There is a filter and a heater in it. I feed them daily with Tetra tropical fish food.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi Kellyann welcome to Fish Lore :)

I'm sorry your guppy isn't feeling well.
    Can you post a pic? Are you sure it's coming out the side?

Any idea what your readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? It would help the members if they knew your readings. What's the temp of your water?
    Unfortunatly your tank isn't really big enough for fish. 2 guppies should be in at the very least a 5g tank, preferably a 10g and add a few more. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Kellyann9010

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    my guppy has a hole in his side

This is so strange... my guppy has a hole in his side where the poo comes out, but his attitude is awful. He chases the other guppy away from the food and is very snappy. I just don't know what to do for him.

4. Lucy

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi Kellyann
    I'm sorry for your guppy.
    I've moved your post to a thread of it's own. That thread was old, so you're more likely to get more responses this way.

Are you able to post a pic? Hopefully one of the other members can help.

Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize you already had a thread about this issue. It's best to stick with one thread for the same issue.
    Less confusing that way. ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    Kellyann9010

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've tried taking pictures but I can't use the flash because it bounces off the tank and if I don't use a flash the guppy moves around too much for a pic to turn out. I'll keep trying. Any hints?

6. Lucy

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You can try taking the pic at an angle, although I'm no one to give photo advice. Mine stink. lol

If you read post #2, giving fish the proper living conditions can cut down on aggression.
    Please post your parameters.

Guppies don't' poop out of their sides, so I'm a bit confused as to what you're seeing.

7. OP
    OP
    Kellyann9010

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    He was fine before this starting happening and the two guppies got along great. I don't have parameters, I just have a fish with a hole in his side with a long string of stuff coming out of it. The string detaches, like poop, and then reappears after feeding. He no longer defecates from his anus.

8. untitled1209

untitled1209Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    poop coming out of its side ... is it a birth defect? if not then it might be some kind of fungus that keeps growing and falling of i had a fish that had a fungus that looked kinda like poop. if u do find that it is a fungus i used eigther melafix or pima fix to get rid of my fishes fungus. good luck

9. Bad Wolf

Bad WolfWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    i have a female molly with a hole in her left side of her head but nothing comes out of it. she didn't look to healthy, i think she is dead now because she wasn't moving much this morning and she was laying on the gravel on her side.

10. namehater

namehaterWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    2 years
    in my opinion, to make a fish well you need to fix everything that you know is wrong. first thing that is wrong is that the tank is too small, as was already stated. a fish develops majority of its problems from being stressed. a fish gets stressed when its living conditions are not up to par. having two guppies in a 1.5g tank is causing them stress. no matter if you get this 'hole' fixed or not, as long as you keep those guppies in that tank there will always be an issue to be resolved.

for anybody to be able to help you we have to know some facts about the tank, the water, and the fish. all we know is that its a guppy with a hole. i understand not being able to get a picture of him, sometimes it is very difficult to do. whether your fish are sick or not, you should always have a reliable water testing kit so you can know what the conditions are.