Male Guppy biting/chasing other male

rajs

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 2 male and 3 female guppies, one male is little bigger than another male, this one chases the other always in the tank. Any ideas why it would biting/chasing the other male, it does not look like friendly play.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to get the statement out of the way that everyone is going to make to you: You need to have at least two females per male. (Yes, I know I have 4 males and 3 females, but observe they are in different tanks.). I have not observed this behaviour in my own guppies. How big is your tank?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rajs said:
I have 2 male and 3 female guppies, one male is little bigger than another male, this one chases the other always in the tank. Any ideas why it would biting/chasing the other male, it does not look like friendly play.
Adding more females will help. That behavior is caused when there aren't enough females.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how big is your tank? i'm a new tank owner. i did some studies on goldfish and guppy. i think u should add one more male and 3 more female guppies (2 females per male ratio) if u have a big tank. if there are 3 males the bully male will be confused which one he would chase.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you add another female. that should even it out and make them happier. Otherwise they may be be trying to establish dominance. Good luck!

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i have an all male guppy tank, had 4 at first and saw this behaviour. I added 2 more and all ok now!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
probably just trying to tell each other whose boss!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom