Help Male guppy being very aggressive

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay so I have 2 male and 2 female guppies in a tank. The one male has no interest at all in the females, but the other male is very interested. I originally had 3 females in, but when I came home yesterday evening, the one female was barely able to swim... she showed no signs of disease, and it looked as though her one fin was torn. I am almost positive that she was harassed by my one male and this is why it happened to her. I am QT'ing her so she can recover, but the he is now harassing my 1 pregnant female.

Any tips for this? Obviously I need to get more females which I am about to do, but I am just wondering why he only chased/attacked the one? Is there a way to slow his aggression, or to get him to not find a single target and go after it? I definitely do NOT want him to stress my pregnant female out.

Tank is a 30 gallon with some room to spare. Only have the guppies, 3 platies, and 3 Corydoras catfish.

edit:

I wanted to also add that the male always seems jitterish.. like the others are calm in the tank, and he's just really uptight.. does a lot of flaring and stuff.. could something be wrong with him?

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
add more females or get rid of the offending male, most of my males are constantly flaring and bugging the females, this seems to only be quelled by adding more same-sized females for them to bug or moving them elsewhere.

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's what I thought.. I'll probably end up secluding the male until my female gives birth.. and then go from there....

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay so another update... I got 2 new females.. bringing the total of females up to 4.

The one male still does not seem interested.. so I only have 1 male chasing them..

However, I noticed today that one female has a missing fin.. she still seems to swim fine, but I'm sure it's difficult on her...

What should I do? I'm almost positive it's that jerk.. I'm really tempted to take him back and exchange him.... what do you think I should do? I don't need him hurting my fish.....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom