Male Guppie's tail shredded

1. eddy2007

eddy2007 New Member Member

Hi, I keep noticing that my guppie's tail keeps getting the odd tear in it. Then today I noticed it's got quite a few!

I had all plastic plants but have recently swapped most of these for natural ones because I thought the plants were causing the rips.

I'm not sure what to do now??

I have in a 64L cycled tank:

4 x silver fin tetras
    1 x neon tetra
    1 x adult molly
    3 x baby molly

2. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

A possibility is that the tetras are becoming nippy because they are in small schools.

I have a 2ft guppy only tank and the filter I had on it was not up to scratch. Not enough flow. I recently added a 800lph HOB beast to the tank and within a week I noticed the white edging of fin rot disappeared and he is slowly recovering. I do two 40% water changes a week.

So things that could be causing this:
    -Water quality
    -Nipping tetras
    -Disease (unlikely but a possibility)

3. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

I that the silvers may be doing it, but also i think it may be the neon tetra! Although they are very friendly... Guppies are very persistent... And if the tetra is alone and being annoyed it may nip! Keep an eye on the fish and see if you notice any odd behaviour :)

4. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

I recently had some very, very nippy black skirt tetras and have read similar can happen with the other larger tetras, silver fin included.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    eddy2007

eddy2007 New Member Member

Hi, I've now taken the 4 silver tip tetras back to the fish store so there is no nipping in my tank. However, my guppy's tail was looking a bit worse the other day just before I took the silver tips back.

Hopefully it won't get any worse now, but what could I do to help fix it? Or shall I just wait and do regular water changes?

I've attached a pic.

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

6. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

This is my betta with 20 days of clean water.

WP_20140724_065.jpg WP_20140810_004(1).jpg

I changed his water by 75% every day and the difference is staggering, I strongly suggest keeping his water pristine! Good luck!x

7. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

This is my boys tail when he was nipped, hes now back to normal after many water changes and some tlc :)

I find guppies take longer than bettas, but it will heal with time :)

Attached Files: