Male Guppies Keep Dying HELP

Gina99

Hi, I have had my fresh water 110L tank for about 7 months now. I have guppies, a pair of honey gouramis, and 3 ottos. I’m having a major issue with male guppies. They keep dying! All of my other fish are very healthy and have had no issues. The tank was cycled correctly and all the water parameters are near perfect according to my test kits. I do weekly water changes. I had 6 males and 13 females. I got the males first thinking I wouldn’t need females but they started harrassing eachother so I got some females for them. It turned out the females had a small white spot problem from that shop and I treated them right away and lost 1 female. 1 male jumped out and from that I learned I needed a lid (didn’t know guppies were jumpers) other than that They were all fine for about 4 months and many babies now live in the tank. A couple of weeks ago one of the male guppies started getting really skinny looking, lethargic and just died in the night, then the same thing happened again. I treated the tank with fish disease treatment (didn’t work this time) and now I’m left with 2 and one of them has the same symptoms. It doesn’t make sense to me why none of my other fish have any problems, only the males and why they are going from healthy happy fish to dead within a day of catching whatever it is. Does anyone know what it could be ? Can types of guppies have weaker immune systems?? Why aren’t my gouramis and females and babies getting it?

Sorry that this was long please help if you have any ideas of what the problem could be. I’ve attached a photo of the type of guppies they are

jkkgron2

Gina99

jkkgron2

Gina99 said:
This is the treatment I’ve used this time. PH is around 7, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate, tank is 77 degrees F
Honestly I feel like this might just be bad genetics. Guppies In general tend to have health issues because of inbreeding. I would try getting endlers livebearers instead. They are a lot healthier than guppies and are similar to them except they have shorter fins.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom