Help male guppies keep croaking!

gavins1dad

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok to start with I have a 29 gallon tank. It is fully cycled it has a nitrate reading between 5 and10 per week a nitrite between 0 and .25 weelky. My tank has stayed like this for the 4 months its been up and cycled . Problem is however I started with 2 male guppies and 6 female guppies. As to be expected with all new fish 2 weeks later one male died. So he was replaced and low and behold 2 weeks later the new one died. Through all of this I still have one of my 1st males and all but 1 of the females. She was victim to the filter. I've been through 5 males and the one that has lived is a real showboat. Is it possible he is just to cocky and is stressing the other males to death

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm... What are the mollies acting like? I've had issues with female mollies being extremely belligerent, to the point that they've killed the male mollies (and eventually the other females) in the tank. With how heavily stocked your tank is, it could very well be that the fish are getting a bit uppity in their search for space. In that case, you may be right that the one male is belligerent enough to hold his own.

Also, I'm concerned that your tank is well beyond the filter's bioload capacity. If you're seeing nitrites after four months, it could be that there's not enough space in the filter media for the nitrifying bacteria.

In the long run, you're going to be looking at having an overload in the tank. The goby will grow to be pretty darn long, and produce a lot of waste. It will also feel cramped in the small space, and will likely start trying to escape.

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
this happened to my guppies too. are you getting the male guppies from the same place? try getting them from different stores. if you are getting them from the same place, stop getting them there. sometimes it can be the store that is the problem or it can the seller.

the post above, guppies are a grouping fish. they love to have a lot of friends in a little amount of space. i have 3 fish (2 are guppies and 1 is a minnow) plus guppy fry in a 2 gallon tank and are doing fine. it could be your filter but it is probably not the number of fish in your tank.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the post above, guppies are a grouping fish. they love to have a lot of friends in a little amount of space. i have 3 fish (2 are guppies and 1 is a minnow) plus guppy fry in a 2 gallon tank and are doing fine. it could be your filter but it is probably not the number of fish in your tank.
I'm glad you're fish are doing well, but I strongly disagree that guppies like being crammed together. Yes, they are schoaling fish, but they are also very active, and can get very belligerent if kept in too small of a space. The trait becomes stronger when more than one species is crammed together. It's actually a survival tactic that exists in the majority of animals on the planet. Rats, which are pretty communal creatures, are known to turn on each other when they overpopulate an area. Even humans do it (violent crime rises per capita as population concentration increases).

gavins1dad

Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Ok need to update profile goby now in 55 gallo by himself and moved a male and female mollie to 5 gallon for sons room
all that is in the tank is 6 guppies and two mollies. With 10 ghost shrimp. All fish and shrimp doing great just can't keep another male for some reason. Still keeping this tank brackish. And have planted well tied off some java fern and annibias eyes. Also some round pelle moss.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah. That's much better, bioload-wise.
If you're not seeing aggression, I don't know what to tell you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom